Sunday 2 August 2009

The Secret Garden Meeting - July

Thank you Carly, Sally and Sophie for the beautiful website, for these questions and for sharing your own answers.

The Secret Garden Meeting - July

How do you see or imagine your baby now that you do not have her with you?

I expect that there will always be an element of Georgina that is at the same stage as her twin sister. As Jessica approaches her first birthday this month, I often picture Georgina at this age and wonder what would be different, what would be the same. I think that I will probably always do this.

At times, I find it very comforting to have such a direct connection to my missing daughter. At other times, I find it disconcerting. Georgina is often present when I look at Jessica, just outside my field of vision. Sometimes I feel that, if I could only turn around quickly enough, I would catch a glimpse of that other daughter. She is there, flickering in the static between my eyes and her sister.

Like Laura's boys, Georgina and Jessica were fraternal twins, not identical. Because of their prematurity I find it quite hard to say for certain whether they might have resembled one another. I like to think that I can see some similarities, in their features and their proportions, in those early photographs.

Often when I dream about Georgina she is an extremely premature baby and looks as she looked in life. Sometimes the Jessica of my dreams has grown but Georgina is still tiny. But in my dreams, she lives without ventilators and without wires. About a week after she died, I dreamt about her. I was sitting in a field, under a huge tree. I was holding Jessica and Georgina in my arms. They were tiny and red but I wasn't frightened. They were breathing without effort, the sun was shining. I was thinking about whether they would be hungry yet as I wanted to feed them. I felt so happy in my dream.

I think because it resolves two minor issues that trouble me, that the girls were never together after their birth and that Georgina was never outside. I wish that I had asked if the girls could be together or if I could have carried Georgina over to Jessica when she was dying. I wish that I had asked to take Georgina's body outside.

For some reason, I often imagine Georgina as a young teenager. In that brief moment when girls are still all skinny ribs and limbs like dandelion stalks. Still clear eyed. The age of about 12 or 13 years old. It didn't last long for me, I remember my aunt saying to me wistfully, "Ach Catherine you used to look so Pre-Raphaelite." I didn't dare to ask what she felt the Pre-Raphaelite had been replaced by. Something more solid. A person more reminiscent of something by Rubens perhaps? I wish I'd asked her now.

Sometimes I see a group of these girls on the cusp of womanhood wandering around the shops. The one at the back, the one who seems to be day-dreaming. That is the girl that tugs at my heart. I wonder if that would have been my girl.

And most frequently of all, she is just herself. Something free of her corporeal self, something insubstantial. Perhaps she is everywhere. Or nowhere. But I know that she isn't really to be found in my memories of that tiny, aching body. Not inside that bruised and swollen skin. Not a being with any sort of physical presence. Just my daughter, Georgina. Always with me. In some ways, even closer than her sister.

How did the loss of your last pregnancy affect your choices/decisions about the birth of your subsequent pregnancy?

I don't know.
Sometimes I am frightened that there will never be a subsequent pregnancy because of the events of my first.
I am too scared to try again.
I am too scared not to try again.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Catherine,
    Yeah I get that too. Too scared not to try, too scared to try. It just feels like russian roulette. It has not stopped for me now that I am pregnant. I am afraid of losing this baby AND afraid that I am not ready and wont cope. It never ends.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Catherine, I find it really interesting that you imagine Georgina in that stage of girlhood - the skinny ribs stage. For me, that's always the time I felt like I would really come into my own as a mother.

    I really identify your sense of her as an incorporeal presence - seeing her in the static.

    I think you are such a wonderful mother to both of your girls, I hope that you do try again. I've been debating whether I should say that because I hope you know that I think you should do whatever feels right and safe, and you probably don't need the pressure of some internet lady's opinion! Love, love, love to you as always xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I see the babies, I often see them as chubby, cherub-like (not wings or anything, but just that chubby, curly haired baby look) toddlers. I dont know why, but they seem to, at least for now, be perpetually 12-18m old.

    Peter told me that for the longest time, he always saw his little brother as 7. It wasnt until after our children were born that when he saw him in his head, that he was a grown man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Catherine. Just beautiful. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautifully written! (And thank you so much for the kind words!) I love the dream that you described- I dream about them when I am awake but wish he'd visit me in my 'real' dreams.
    It's odd because when I was pregnant I didn't learn the gender of my babies- and though I learned that "Baby A" had passed just before delivery it wasn't until they were pulled from my that I learned that they were brothers- two boys- and in that instant I saw them on ball fields together- best men in one another's wedding- and I greived that too- but I saw it- in an instant. Thank you so much for reminding me of that.
    We seem to have so much in common- Afraid to be pregnant- afraid not to be- I felt that I would be better with my second pregnancy after losing Andrew- but as the weeks went by I got more and more worried... And with this baby, I just have accepted the fact that this is who I am- this is how I feel- I'm glad we've found each other in blogger world- if you ever need ANYTHING- please let me know!
    Huge Hugs,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh Catherine....so much of what you said speaks right to my heart. we lost our identical twin boys to TTTS at 25 weeks.
    my heart understands your heart xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Catherine-I feel so many things that you feel. I can't count the amount of times that I've thought or written completely different thoughts at the same time. I am scared to get pregnant, and scared to not. Absolutely. I just love, love, love reading what you write, even though it is horrible that we are even here.
    xxoo christy w

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a very beautiful post. Thank you. For me, I most often envision Colden as 3 or 4 years old. I just love the energy and open-mindedness of little boys that age.

    ReplyDelete