Sunday 18 October 2009

Replacement

Following on from my earlier ramble about why I decided to have children, I'm going to go back to the issue of 'so-called replacement' children to borrow a turn of phrase from klepsydra.

I think that this an issue that is at once simplified and complicated by losing one of twins.

Simple because, after the girls were born, they ceased to be the 'twins' but became two separate, distinct individuals. My daughters. I loved them both. I wanted them both. No question of replacement. I may be deceiving myself but I think that I knew them, their personalities. I think my daughters were quite different people.

But more complicated because of the time frame. Everything happened at once, birth, death, motherhood, prolonged hospital stay, fear of continuing health problems.

I found that, after Georgina died, many people said to me, "at least you still have Jessica".

This angered me because the implication seemed to be
that Jessica was some sort of consolation prize,
that the absence of Georgina in my life could simply be patched over with the presence of Jessica,
that Georgina wasn't worth enough to be grieved over, that her existence could simply be dismissed by a chance of focus.
It didn't seem to do either of my children justice. That they could be so easily replaced or that I might not have the one I wanted but, hey, at least I had a child. I did. I do. I am grateful. But it doesn't stop me wanting the two children that I anticipated.

But I can see why people said it.
Given the circumstances, I am incredibly lucky to have any children surviving from a pregnancy that was cut so short.
I can't deny that Jessica's survival has helped me to recover from some aspects of the experience.

Events conspired to make Jessica feel like a substitute at times. I did not see very much of Jessica for the first few days of her life. Initially the girls were in the smaller of the wards, opposite one another. Georgina on the left and Jessica on the right. Because I knew her sister was very ill and would most likely die, I felt (perhaps wrongly) that the medical staff were encouraging me to sit with her. They kept telling me that Jessica was stable and one of the doctors in particular was extremely positive about her chances of survival. So I spent most of the first three days huddled over the incubator on the left and this culminated in my holding Georgina for the first time just before life support was removed from her.

I know I stayed with her body for some time, until her heart stopped beating. My husband and I bathed her and dressed her. Then we left her body and went back into the ward to huddle on the right hand side of the room with Jessica. It was a very peculiar thing, to walk straight back into that room where my other daughter had just taken her last breaths.

I think that I may use Jessica's survival to comfort myself. At my lowest ebbs, when I miss Georgina terribly, I do tend to take comfort in Jessica's physical presence. Even if she is sleeping, I like to go and sit in her room and listen to her breathing. To try and catch a little splinter of her sister. Just a tiny sliver of that daughter I will never hold, whose breathing I can never hear.

I think that there is a terrible, gaping hole in me. A void. An empty place. Where Georgina should be. And I don't think that anything or anyone else can ever fill that space. Her sister cannot fill it. She is busy occupying her own spaces. Another child cannot fill it. They will be in a different place. Anything or anyone I attempt to put there just gets swallowed up. That spot is for my Georgina. That specific human being. My daughter. She is irreplaceable. All children are.

And that is without counting the tangle between Georgina and Jessica. There lies a loss that I can never comprehend. I can attempt to give Jessica another sister. But it will never be her twin sister. It will never be Georgina, the sister that grew with her. The sister that accompanied her when she was only a few cells. She is irreplaceable.

When I contemplate that uniqueness, those strange chances, the impossibility that, from all those potentials, Georgina came to be. That she survived for 23 weeks in the womb. That all those cells came together in the correct places. That she had limbs and eyes and a face. That so many things that could have gone wrong before that point, didn't. And then I lost her. To an infection. That still makes me want to howl and howl and howl. In fury and despair and horrible, horrible sadness. And it makes me so angry. So angry on behalf of all our babies who came so far, some of them much more developed and healthy than my Georgina. So angry that they had that chance ripped away from them.

If I had another pregnancy, another child, it is possible that some of the grief I have could be assuaged.
The grief that I never managed to experience the third trimester of pregnancy.
The grief that my body let my family down and brought my husband and my family, not the incredibly happiness that we were all so confidently expecting, but a time full of so much heartache and terror.
The grief that the one experience of pregnancy, birth and early motherhood that I have diverges so dramatically from that experienced by the majority.
The grief I feel that Jessica, who is a twin, is an only child with no siblings at all.
The grief that I feel that I somehow wasn't a proper mother to my girls. That I failed to keep them safe. If I could have another try, to prove that it wasn't my fault the first time in a way.

But none of these minor gripes really touch the sides of the loss that sits where my eldest daughter should be. I can't replace her. I can't even hope to try.

I was listening to a programme about graveyards on the radio this morning and the presenter stated that most graves remain unvisited after an average of fifteen years. Don't ask me how they arrived at that figure but that was the length of time quoted. He said that he often visits a graveyard nearby and, in this graveyard, is the grave of a child who died forty five years ago. And there are still often fresh flowers on that particular grave. This didn't surprise me. Because I know I will always miss Georgina. My sweet little Georgie.

I know that void inside me will change. Time will erode the jagged edges that border it today. I may decorate it with flowers and candles. I may be able to hang some beautiful paintings on the walls. But it will always be there. A space where something irreplaceable and so, so precious to me once lived and breathed.

* * * *

I'm going back to work tomorrow. I have been on leave since the girls were born, nearly fourteen months ago. I feel quite anxious about how to behave. Do I try and pretend to be my old self? Or do I try and adopt a new persona? I don't think that my current mode of gibbering wreck is going to cut the mustard somehow.

I'm not sure what this is going to do to my blogging. I usually blog and comment whilst Jessica is taking her naps but, obviously, I will now be at work during that time. So if my rambling comments tail off a bit, it is because 'the toad work is currently squatting on my life' to steal a phrase from Mr. Larkin.

Perhaps I have run out of things to say anyway? I seem to be repeating myself lately.
Anyhow, here is a song about work . . .

19 comments:

  1. hey Catherine

    i wish you a really, really good start back to work. i know it seems like a stupid comment and the perspective of having that toad squating... (tht imge makes me laugh though!) but well, maybe it's a case of wanting what you can't have... working might just be a change that in time will weave some clarity in the hurt and allow you to wake from the coma the pain of loss, the lost world the loss has left us in.

    You can always run out the door if it's not worth it... Great video/song. Thank you.

    Oh, and if you don't come back here, sheeeesh, ouch, hurt! I'll miss you terribly. But maybe it's like graduation... i think the biggest difficulty is the unknown of the change brought upon you. I hope it's good, so very, very much. You are a wonderful person, no need to adjust or change anything in my opinion.

    lot's of love
    xx Ines

    ReplyDelete
  2. No one and nothing can ever replace your beautiful Georgina. And you have to be who you are. You have changed and y our way of looking at life has changed. It will be too much of a burden for you to be who you are not. Hugsssss. Going back to work may seem really hard before you start but after the first week it becomes easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "At least you still have Jessica."

    People said that to you? Really? Ouch, although I'm hardly surprised, with some of the things I've heard over the months. I'm so sorry, Catherine.

    And I know what you mean. To carry our perfectly formed babies, no matter how far along they were, then lose them like that, the way we did. And both of us to infections. Stupid little infections. An infection that Hope was more than likely strong enough to fight off had she been outside the womb, where she had a chance, and an infection that Georgina probably had a chance to fight off had she been a bit bigger and stronger. Oh it is so cruel and unfair. It does really want to make me stamp my feet like a two year old.

    Wishing you much luck back at work. I can imagine the sense of dread you must feel - both stepping back in to that old role and leaving Jessica behind for the day. I'll be thinking of you, Mumma.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. That song... beautiful, beautiful.

    Your writing, as always, is wonderful. I will miss you if you choose to stop.

    'I think that there is a terrible, gaping hole in me. A void. An empty place [...]And I don't think that anything or anyone else can ever fill that space. Her sister cannot fill it. She is busy occupying her own spaces. Another child cannot fill it. They will be in a different place. Anything or anyone I attempt to put there just gets swallowed up.'

    I think this is perfect.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also think about how much of a tragedy it was that Lachlan was so perfect at one point, before he got sick. He had ten perfect fingers and ten perfect toes, and a perfectly functioning brain, but then something happened and he was injured. It's just not right, for our babies to be grown to such an extent, so beautiful and perfect, only to have something hurt them so much.

    I hope that your return to work goes OK. I've had a lot of struggles returning to work, and it's hard to know how to act after such a huge life changing thing has happened. I've found that in general people have treated me as though nothing has happened. Sometimes it's been upsetting to be treated like that, but slowly I've been gaining my old confidence back. I hope you have a smooth transition back to work, and we're all here for you however it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't even imagine what you went through, welcoming one life and grieving another at the same time. Your strength to walk into that next room, to hold your other babies hand after having just said goodbye. You are an amazing mother.

    ReplyDelete
  7. im going back to work this week too. we'll do it together.

    45 years.. wow. i cant imagine doing this for another 45 years, hurting like this. it sounds exhausting. much more exhausting than going back to work or being pregnant again.

    someone i went to high school with had quadruplets and one of them died.. it was 2 boys and 2 girls, and she lost a boy. and if im being honest, i AM glad she still has the other 3 and that you still have jessica, but not because it makes losing your daughter and her son any easier, but because im just simply relieved that the other children didnt die too. i feel especially bad for jessica, and for her surviving boy, for losing their little buddy. it's just too sad. and i feel bad for any future girls i might have. a friend of mine is pregnant with her second daughter, and someone on facebook (a female who has a sister) said "oh a sister! congrats! having a sister is almost a necessity!" you know, i never had a sister. but it's not like i had one and lost one. i survived without a sister. but my daughter will have to survive without one that she was actually meant to have.

    i hate the universe.

    oh look, a little blog of my own inside of your blog. lucky us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having only recently discovered your blog, I will be sorry if you stop. You have a wonderful way of writing.
    I hope your return to work is better than you imagine it to be.x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not surprised people said that to you either, but it is so sad that they don't see the reality of it for you as the mother of twins. You will *always* hold a special place in your heart for your wee girl and ache for her loss and we other sad mummas get that. Thinking of you as you return to work and sending all good thoughts. Will look forward to reading updates when you have time. (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Catherine, I hope your return to work is smooth. Be gentle with yourself.

    I wish I could say I was shocked that someone would say such things to you, but I'm not really. It's so tragic to think that Jessica must grow up as a twin whose sister is not by her side. How one explains that to a child, I just don't know.

    And I, too, feel like I have a huge hole in my heart that will never be filled. And I don't think I'd want it to be. It's Cayden's, and even though I hope a sibling will help the rest of my heart feel bigger, that hole will surely remain.

    Much love to you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Catherine - Love and support to you and your family as you return to work...

    "at least" is one of those comments that make me utterly cringe as I know its going to be followed by something that stings.

    And your comment regarding the void..have you read this quote from Freud after the death of his daughter?


    Although we know that after such a loss the acute state of mourning will subside, we also know we shall remain inconsolable and will never find a substitute.
    No matter what may fill the gap, even if it be filled completely, it nevertheless remains something else. And actually this is how it should be. It is the only way of perpetuating that love which we do not want to relinquish.


    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. 'thank goodness you still have Jessica'

    I think just the opposite, int hat I could not imagine caring for a newborn while so actively mourning. We couldn't even care for ourselves here. I think that can only be a difficult and complicated situation.

    I am surprised that my jaw is still in one piece, after how many times it has hit the floor with all the asinine things people say.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh dear one, this post brought me to tears, especially hearing your enduring "My Georgie"...

    I often heard the "at least you have Sophia" after Nicholas died and I was still pregnant. It cut at the core of me. It wasnt like she was a spare or that he could easily be replaced by another child. Even now, I have heard, more times than I care to remember, that my family is complete, that "God gave me another set of b/g twins to replace" Nicholas and Sophia. I even remember people saying similar when I was pregnant with Alexander. But it doesnt work that way. They cant be replaced. We love them for them, their unique perfectness.

    I can imagine that you cling to Jessica and find comfort in her breath, in her sleep, in everything she does. I know that feeling right now. It doesnt ease the pain or assuage the guilt, but it does bring comfort.

    I am sure that you have all sorts of feelings about work. I will be thinking of you and hoping for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Catherine-so much to say, but mostly just wanted to let you know that I can relate SO much to this post. We've talked before about how similar our situations were with a pretty different outcome. After Sophie died, while Aiden was still alive (which was just for a night) my mom said to me, "At least you'll still have Aiden. You can still have one baby."
    Instead of being horrified, I just sort of nodded. I was desperate. I would have given anything to have either of them. And after Aiden died, too, I thought how cruel it was that I got nothing-not even one of them.
    I realize how messed up that is. And I had no idea the pain there would have been if only one had survived. I just didn't know. I just couldn't know.
    It's just unfair all around. We shouldn't have anyone saying "At least..." anything when our child/children have just died.
    Uggg.
    Hoping your first day back to work was great!! Keep us updated :)
    Thank you, again, so much for sharing all of your thoughts and I relate so, so much to them.
    Love
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Catherine, this is such a thoughtful post. They are irreplaceable, our babies. And the time we should have had with them, their futures, the people they would have become - those cannot be replaced, either.

    I hope your return to work went as well as it possibly could.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Catherine,
    Thank you for the note on my blog. I too have missed you. Perhaps I'll return sometime soon. We shall see.

    For me, having surviving children is such a double edged sword. I of course am grateful for my living children and could not survive losing them as well as E. But for people to say things that insinuate I might not feel grateful for my living children, it makes me feel that they don't realize E's value and importance in my life. I can only imagine how losing a twin could complicate those feelings and those encounters with other people even more.

    I wish you peace in your work environment. I imagine you will carve out a new place for yourself because you are not the person you were when you stopped working.

    Peace, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow Catherine, I could've written this post (though nowhere near as beautifully as you or with anywhere near your flair) six months ago. At a time when Bridgitte's heart stopped beating, and she was delivered, and I was praying, hoping, greiving, fearful, bargaining, pleading; and still pregnant with Ashlyn.
    I am so angry too. And I know the feeling of guilt for not being able to protect your child(ren).

    And I KNOW Jessica is her own prize, not a consolation. Although being with her consoles you. Being with my son consoles me. Especially because Ashlyn looked so much like him when he was born. It is as close as I can get to my daughters. I love him in his own right, but he does help me in ways he will never know.

    I hope work goes well for you, and that you are able to function in your new skin. I hope you'll find some time to continue bloggin , even if not as often. Your posts are eloquantly written, thought-provoking, and identified with by many. I do so enjoy reading them. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Maybe, just maybe what people meant by "At least you still have Jessica" is "How wonderful that Jessica survived and she is here with you." Surely no one can be so silly as to think that J would somehow ease the pain of losing sweet Georgina.

    I agree with you, another child may help to soften the raw jagged edges, but it will never fill the hole in our hearts left from our babies who are not with us.

    I hope work has been managable for you. I know when I returned it totally put a cramp in my blogging style. I hope it does not do that to you because your presense would be so greatly missed.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. *hugs* to you as you return to work. And I completely get what you are saying about your daughter being irreplaceable. Absolutely.

    xx

    ReplyDelete