Wednesday 3 February 2010

Comfort herself

I remember my mother describing marriage to me as a Little Ease.

Little Ease - the name of a prison cell too small to allow the prisoner to stand upright, or to lie down, or to assume any other position of ease.

No matter how hard you try, muscles will cramp, bones will start to ache. 
Turn and turn about, you will never find ease. 
No wonder. It was designed that way.

I don't think this is a reflection upon love, only upon the state of marriage. An acknowledgement of the constraints and compromises that marriage brings with it. Particularly to women of my mother's generation.

I don't view my own marriage in the same light.
But, when Georgina died, I wound up in my very own Little Ease.

I am not an ascetic type.
When I was younger, this troubled me.
There seemed something so terribly unromantic about being overly concerned with where your next meal was coming from and what it would consist of.
With fussing about being too cold or too hot.
With giving any recognition at all to your own comfort.

So I attempted to feign disinterest.
To pretend I had no appetite for anything other than cigarettes and diet drinks.
To pretend that the icy wind didn't chill me, that I didn't want to rush back inside from an extra jumper.
To pretend that I didn't want to cry when boyfriends cheated on me.

But anyone who knows the real me and my love of cake, knows that for precisely what it is. A pretence.


When Georgina died, I longed for comfort. Something, anything.

I tried many things. Some worked. Temporarily.

Outside the NICU was a vending machine. 
I posted in my coins and took icy silver can after icy silver can out. So cold it hurt my teeth. 
And I used to think, if I can just keep standing until the next can. 
Until the next ice cold stream of caffeine and sweetener pours down my throat. 
Then I'll be fine.

Bar after bar of chocolate. Biscuit after biscuit with hot, sweet tea. Sugar and fat to coat the edge of a pain that was so very, very sharp.

Big, fat books. Page after page of imagined worlds. I always had a book with me. So that during hand over times in the NICU, when you usually were asked to leave, I had something to distract my mind with. Because I couldn't bear to think.

When I went into labour that night, it was painful and I was so frightened that I was losing my girls. I really had no idea that they would be born the next morning. I think I imagined that I would start to bleed and that their bodies would somehow vanish.

I started reading Vanity Fair as I sat in the cooling bath water and wished it would all go away. I carried on reading over the next few days, as Georgina died by degrees. 
I don't think I will ever read Vanity Fair again. A shame as it's one of my favourite books. 
I had even considered naming Jessica, Amelia, until I remembered that nobody wants to be Amelia. Everyone wants to be Becky.

Volumes of words. Trollope's 'The Way We Live Now' and Barsetshire chronicles. Jilly Cooper novels. The Twilight series. Anything. Anything where the good get their reward and the bad get their comeuppances. Anything where the world seems to work out satisfactorily in the end.

Cold, white wine. Tepid, red wine.

Hot, hot bathwater. So hot that my skin turned red as I sat and studied my new stomach as it flattened. 
Just an empty void where all those hopes had once resided, those small shards of people, those tiny glimmers of life.

Tiny, white pills. Slightly larger, white pills. Pills that might as well have been sugar. Pills that worked in synergy, in concert. Pills that gave me strange twitches.

I sought comfort in old standbys. Religion. Music. 
But, suddenly and strangely, I felt nothing. Those options had been cut adrift overnight without a word of notice, without so much as a 'by your leave.'

Talking, talking, talking. Talking until I was sick of the sound of my own voice. Talking until I couldn't talk any more. Only cry.

Trying to tune everything out with crosswords, sudoku puzzles, word games, anagrams, computer games. Anything that could be completed and completed correctly. Where I could look down in satisfaction on something finished, all the boxes tidily filled out.

My husband. Who needed comfort himself. We collapsed into one another, not quite managing to hold the other up but folding into one another in such a way that we didn't quite hit the floor.

A pink and white crochet blanket that I fell asleep holding every night. 
Because I thought it might have the last tiny scent of Georgina.

A paper towel stained with Jessica's blood after a bad heel prick. A younger doctor took it and seemed to be having trouble. Finally, she walked off leaving Jessica uncovered and kicking a bloody foot in the air. I'm sure she'd have been crying if her mouth hadn't been full of ventilator. 
My pathetic gratitude to that inexperienced doctor, for giving me a brief opportunity to mother my daughter. To staunch the blood. To remake the bed and tidy the incubator.

Purchasing piles and piles of patterned muslins. Choosing fabric for tiny sheets. To decorate the incubator of my tiny daughter.

Selecting, buying, washing and ironing tiny clothes. Clothes with a size of up to 2lbs with velcro and little hooks to allow wires to snake in and around and out again. Clothes that couldn't be worn because they would hide the skin that could start to turn grey at any minute.

Selecting, buying, washing and ironing larger clothes. Clothes that looked enormous. If I could buy enough, surely I could anchor her to the earth, stop her following her twin into the dark. I felt she couldn't leave if I had all of this ready, that I could buy death off with the sheer weight of my purchases.

Sitting, still and silent, with a frail child tucked inside my clothes. 
The tiny, candle like warmth of her. 
The fragile curve of her skull.
The pump and click of the ventilator.
The hiss of the CPAP machine.
The regular peaks and troughs on the monitors.
The numbers flicking up and down.
Making their own strange music, where I would lose myself. 
Push everything away except my own skin and that tiny warm body, with its miraculous assisted breath, and the points where we connected.
Hoping that if I stayed silent and still enough, we could remain like that forever. 

But this is the thing about a Little Ease. 
Parts of you can find comfort. 
You might be able to stretch out an arm or a leg. 
But it will be to the detriment of another limb.

Just like the pain I feel over Georgina's death.
Sometimes it eases a little. I can find consolation. 
I can hold the facts in my mind and they remain legible, static.
That Georgina was my daughter, beloved, cherished.
That her life meant something, that her life was still beautiful even though it was short.
That there was a meaningful exchange between us, that I knew something, anything, about her.
That she was more than just a tiny, failing body. 
That she was something more than a small frame with organs that gave out on her, one by one. 

That she was something suffused with light.
That it wasn't just a piece of randomly cruel biology that meant her entire life was done with in only three days.

But then my limbs start to seize up. 
The peace I had slips out of my grasp. 
The meaning that I imbued her life with slides away. 
I have to change my position in my cramped cell. 

Suddenly
There is no ease.
There is no consolation.
Just yearning.
Just aching.
A wanting, a needing, a wishing. One that is destined never to be requited, can never reach fulfilment.
An endless shifting, an endless casting about for comfort. 

22 comments:

  1. Catherine, as always your writing is lovely. "Little Ease" so correctly describes the moments of peace we get. I completely bask in these times of comfort knowing that discomfort will return.

    I like to think that a "meaningful exchange" happens while the little ones are still in the womb. I like to think that he felt some level of connection to me. Shoot, what if all was just biology.

    It's sad that your mom described marriage as Little Ease. It was an accurate description in my case too, but now being out of the cramped quarters I'm so sad for myself for choosing to stay there for so long and so sad for others who are there or have been there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a powerful analogy Catherine and as always I'm left a bit speechless after reading your words. Sometimes that is all there is: "An endless shifting, an endless casting about for comfort. "

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish that I could express my feelings and thoughts that beautifully. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Catherine, what a perfect description. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your writing touches me so deeply. I know I've told you that before, but it is so true. In the glimpse of your pain, I see my own, so clearly. Especially as you talk about your memories, it is as though your are my twin, sharing those thoughts outloud while I think them.

    Sending hugs and thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember picking the tiny coloured sheets and ironing those baby clothes too.

    Thinking of you and Georgina.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. at times that aching still does overwhelm me.

    beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, tragic and powerful words Catherine. Truly..
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. "A wanting, a needing, a wishing. One that is destined never to be requited, can never reach fulfilment."

    Yes ... that's it. That's exactly it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A perfect description and analogy to losing your child. Little Ease. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. You finally found a name for this weird feeling that we LBMs have "little Ease" - Yes we all share this little ease which will remain with us for life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness. This was so gripping. What a perfect way to describe this life after child loss.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been thinking about your comment on my last post "Strange isn't it, how sometimes it seems enough and yet, at other times, far too little." It is strange. There are the moments of peace that you talk about here, that simply dissipate, leaving that longing, that ache, that need in their place.

    ReplyDelete
  14. gorgeous writing. Little Ease. No matter which way you look at it, there is little to ease the pain, isn't there?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow Catherine. I never cease to be amazed by your incredible ability to articulate so beautifully all that you've felt through your journey. I can almost imagine being there, the vividness of Jessica and Georgina's early days makes my heart ache for you and I can understand you on so many levels. Twins. Two babies, one who lives, one who died. Different circumstances but so much the same. You mean so very much to me, having you walk beside me through this hell makes me feel so understood. Thanks for this...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am overwhelmed with emotion. No words. Just love for you.

    Peace, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am always impressed with the beauty of your posts, Catherine, but this one is like something I need to read more than once to fully absorb all the nuances and meaning, to have a complete understanding of...

    This part inparticular leaves me in tears: "A pink and white crochet blanket that I fell asleep holding every night.
    Because I thought it might have the last tiny scent of Georgina." A's hat was my crochet blanket, and I fanlly stopped sleeping wth it only fo rfear it would take on more of me than it has of her. I still open it and inhale the inside, knowing her cells are still inside, and that is all I will ever have of her again.
    You're right, there is no place we can ever find complete, true, ease. It's exactly how I've been feeling, but could not find the words to describe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Spot on, Catherine. This is exactly how it feels. I'm considering making this post required reading for all of my friends.

    There's something so sinister about the name too. 'Little Ease' sounds like it ought to be comfortable, not a torture device.

    ReplyDelete
  19. as everyone else said, you write beautifuly. thinking of you and your beautiful girl.

    ReplyDelete
  20. In my numbness and dried up state, you managed to put a huge lump in my throat (yet again) and blur my eyes. It also made me remember the days where I tried like hell to loose myself in anything I could get my hands on, including Twilight. My reality was too much, I wanted someone to write me a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your writing reaches right deep into my soul and I feel so many emotions just from reading one of your posts.

    Thank you for being able to say what I often find so hard to say! You have a gift, my friend!

    Lots of love! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just absolutely love your blog and your writing! I felt as if the air was sucked out of me as I read your words- remembering- being there too! Wishing you peace!
    Hugs-
    Laura

    ReplyDelete