Saturday 13 February 2010

Persistence of vision

I hadn't realised that, nearly eighteen months after the fact, I would still be so very preoccupied with the events of 2008. Thinking about the final months of that year takes up so much of my (admittedly rather limited) brain that there currently seems to be little room for anything else. Not good when you have a job that entails being able to concentrate for extended periods of time. Wonder when they'll notice that my attention span is now hovering at around the minute mark?

I have good intentions. I sit at my desk, telling myself that today will be different. Today I will be a productive employee, I will take pride in my appearance, I will remember to brush my hair before I go to work, I will smile, I will click up and down to the printer, I will type and email and call, I will staple documents together, I will annotate graphs neatly, I will check my spreadsheet formulae actually do what they are supposed to be doing instead of some weirdo calculation entirely of my own invention.

I will not go and hide in the ladies room, sit on the floor and cry.
I will not press myself against the door of the cleaning supplies cupboard in the furthest cubicle from the door and sob to myself 'but she was here, she was just here a minute ago.'
I will not run away from pregnancy news.
I will not go and look up Georgina's death record in the database.
I like to look at it sometimes, it's one of the few things I have.
A document. A trace. Of my eldest daughter's existence.
I will not sit and stare at her name, at my husband's name, at my own name.
I will not sit and debate with myself whether the information listed as contributory factors to her death could have been altered, could all be some kind of mistake.
There it is, neatly tidied away.
A place I never thought it would be, purely on the basis that I was responsible for maintaining the database containing that information. Here lies the final document of Baby Georgina W, carefully uploaded to this electronic mausoleum by her mother.
I thought that, simply by the act of importing data into that store, I could protect myself from having to upload the details of my own child's death.
Because that would be too cruel wouldn't it? Apparently not.

Causes of death
(i) pulmonary insufficiency
(ii) extreme prematurity at 23 weeks gestation and 750 grams
(iii) renal failure
(iv) twin pregnancy

I fantasise about simply deleting her record out. Firstly, so that nobody else in the office could look at something so sacred to me. Secondly, perhaps she'd come back. Just perhaps. Perhaps I'd hit delete and there she'd be. In my arms. Looking at me with those blue eyes. Just as though it had never happened.

I try. I try and I try and I try to be normal again.
But.
But my eyes slip off the surface of the here and now. As though it is too shiny, too insubstantial, to slick with new to hold my gaze. It can't keep my attention.
My eyes slip off to the right. They are always snagging on something just outside my field of vision, just out of my sight, that flickers and jumps. They are always searching for that place, where I lost her.

I sat at my desk this week, lost in that parallel place. A place just slightly to the right, out of alignment, accessible only to those whose eyes and minds are permanently fixed elsewhere.

I realised I couldn't remember what happened when Georgina's heart stopped beating. I sometimes wonder if that is why I think of that time so often. Because it is a strange mixture of things I remember with heart stopping vividness, the exact shape of her chin, the blue of her eyes, the split in the skin on her leg, the angle at which the blood dripped out of her mouth when they removed the ventilator, the purple of her bruises, in strange juxtaposition with an absolute and utter blank. There are hours and hours which are unaccounted for, which just evaporated alongside a substantial portion of my heart, on the 29th of August 2008.

I tried to remember. I wanted to call my husband and ask him questions. How long did her heart take to stop beating? Who was holding her when it finally stopped? Which nurse came to check? Was her consultant in the room?
But that would not have been the sort of phone call I would want to make in the middle of a working day.
It is not the sort of call I would like my husband to receive in the middle of a working day.

So I sat and pretended to work. But really I was trying to remember.
My poor mind whizzed around and around and tried to find the answers. How could I forget?

I still can't remember. But I have had a few details filled in.

It took, he estimates, about half an hour for her to die.
She was stronger than they suspected.
I held her.
He said that I held her for a very long time.

I remember the next part.
I washed her. The water wasn't warm enough.
I dressed her. The clothes were slightly too big.
The hat had a stupid, incongruous pom pom. Like a clown's hat.

My poor little clown with her bloody mouth.
My poor, beautiful little girl.
I don't know how I could ever have let you go. My girl. My girl. My sweet girl.
I remember looking and looking and looking at her and thinking that I would put her down and never pick her up again.
That I would put her down and walk out of the door.
And I wouldn't go back.
Because I didn't think that I could do it twice.

And so it goes.

I live in a strange half world when I'm not with my surviving daughter. She brings me back. I owe it to her. I owe it to her sister. To try and be my best for her. Not to say that I always am but I try.

But otherwise I inhabit a peculiar half life that is just a step or two to one side of the one where the majority of people appear to pass their time. That flimsy, garish place that I just can't seem to get a hold on any longer.

In that strange place. Where time stops and starts and writhes forward and backward as though it is alive.
That tiny place that I obsess over and think and think and think about. Until I have worn a groove in the floor, in my brain, even in this strange blog place. I feel as though surely even the electronic stuff this place is made from must be wearing very thin with this. I bore myself, this inability to think about little else. I pace back and forth, repetition, repetition, repetition.
Trying to find that magic elusive point at which I can still save the day, the month, the year, the rest of my life, my husband, Jessica, myself. I'm sure I can save us all you know. If only I can find that moment when I should have done something different.

Sometimes I catch a glimpse of another of this place's shadowy occupants, hurrying along.
I know they are there.
In that gaze that seems to gaze out at another scene entirely.
In that laugh that sounds just slightly wrong.
I try to catch their eyes but they hurry away, turn back inside themselves.
Back to their own version of a neonatal intensive care unit and a slowly, dying child.
Back to their own preoccupations.
Back to whatever vision of their own persists when they shut their eyelids.


My mother told me that children are the crown of life.
They are.
I was waiting for the happiest day of my life.
And it was.

'You know I dreamed about you
for twenty-nine years before I saw you
You know I dreamed about you
I missed you for
for twenty-nine years.' 


I'll miss you for another twenty-nine years Georgina.
And another twenty-nine times twenty-nine.
I miss you so.

19 comments:

  1. I remember. I remember visiting Emma in the hospital on the days after her birth. She was the same beautiful little girl, yet so cold to touch. I remember being in tears as I told her I would not be coming back. That goodbye. Willing myself to leave. The first betrayal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish having our babies back was as easy as deleting that record. I wish you could push that button and sweet Georgina would be there in your arms. Thinking of you and your sweet girls. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I am always so impressed by your ability to express yourself. I know what you mean it sometimes seems like I catch glimpses of things out of the corner of my eye and for a brief moment my heart stops and I think maybe it's Cadynce. I know it's not, but it seems like my hope never goes away.

    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is so weird that we can remember so many moments so vividly, yet whole hours and days have just been lost from memory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Catherine, I have so many tears as I am reading this. I wish I had the right words to say.

    I am thinking about you... always.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think of you and your children. I send you my best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Catherine, you describe that other world so perfectly, so heartbreakingly, so truthfully.x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Catherine, as usual... beautifully written and touching my heart. Sometimes at work I feel like I'm in a parallel universe. I need to function and be creative, when all I want to engulf myself in, is Sky sky sky sky...

    Sending my love to you and lil' Jessica! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. "If only I can find that moment when I should have done something different."

    On really bad days the agony of this is almost unbareable.

    Beautiful post Catherine.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think there'll ever be a time when we won't be preoccupied by the events of our babies' births and deaths.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, Catherine. I can't concentrate at work anymore either. I'll be going along okay for a bit, then my mind wanders and before I know it, I'm in tears and hoping I can get it together again before someone comes into my office. And it's always the same stuff running through my head too, round and round, over and over. Say whatever you want however much you want here - I'll be here listening. Thinking of you...
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Trying to find that magic elusive point at which I can still save the day, the month, the year, the rest of my life, my husband, Jessica, myself. I'm sure I can save us all you know. If only I can find that moment when I should have done something different."

    This haunts all of us, doesnt it? I'm so very sorry, your hurt mirrors my own, though our losses are different, I see we inhabit the same strange inner space.
    My love...

    ReplyDelete
  13. the memory loss is, i think, part of the shock, our systems trying to protect us. there are parts of last year i don't remember at all. sometimes i feel grateful for that and sometimes it sucks. at the hospital i held my baby for 6 hours - 6 whole hours, wide awake with my baby and i remember maybe 45 minutes of it. i'm glad your husband can fill in details for you.

    big hugs to you, catherine. xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. It seems nearly impossible to not be preoccupied by thoughts of the loss of one's child. It's as though we are constantly trying to make sense of something that doesn't make any sense at all.

    My thoughts are with you and your beautiful little girls.

    ReplyDelete
  15. hey my sweet friend, sending you a big hug, because i think you need one. Can you mitch off work? It just isn't that important. I would get a sick note and go home.

    One day at a time, breath, eat, sleep.
    And hug yourself, and Jessica and Georgina and your husband, you are their wonderful mum and wife, they are you wonderful daughters your family. You are one brilliant inspiring woman and you can't do anything to change the past only the now.

    I believe Georgina is with you. Maybe only a few people truly get her, but maybe they are the only people who count.

    love to you, lots and lots of love

    ReplyDelete
  16. I thoughts once that, if I tore up their death certificates, they might come back... I know it's crazy, but I still thought it.

    Thinking of you and your sweet girls...

    ReplyDelete
  17. If only it were that easy, to just hit delete and have them back. I wish it were so. Beautifully written as always Catherine. Sending you hugs

    ReplyDelete
  18. A beautifully eloquent description of living after losing part of your heart and soul.

    ReplyDelete