Saturday 14 January 2012

List

Well, if anyone remembers my grand un-slumpification project, it is still (ahem) on-going. Long after everyone else has packed up and left. Yes, admittedly, that is rather slow progress. It's a relapsing, iterative process. I can be walking along, nonchalantly, jauntily even. Possibly whistling. Then SLURP with a suck and a twist and here I am. Back in the slump. And the slump isn't even much like grief. It's just  . . . . kinda slumpy. Like grief's boring, miserable second cousin once removed.

And I feel so guilty. Horribly guilty. A great deal of the time. When Jessica cries because she's tripped or when she gets frustrated because she can't communicate, I see her eyes fill with tears and I hear the echoes of alarms beeping and the slap of feet running down hospital corridors. Her skin changing colour, becoming bluer. I feel as though I'm falling and I can't breathe. 

When she smiles, I feel another hand tugging at my clothing. A very small hand. Cold. And I wonder how long I can keep this up? Trying to make her happy. Ignoring that small cold pressure at the periphery. It just feels so very desperate and heavy, the love, the sadness, pressing down on me. And I need to feel less. Because this feeling stuff is all very well but it isn't productive. It is getting in the way of practical things like sewing name labels in clothes and batch cooking. Stuff I actually need to do. Stuff I should be doing right now as a matter of fact.

Guilt. Guilt that I'm sure would have come to rest on my shoulder regardless. I've always been one for self recrimination and I'm sure that motherhood just on its own will do a number on you if you are inclined that way to start off with. For me, Death and motherhood came along at once. Bony hand on one shoulder, plump, ring knuckled hand on the other. Pressing downwards. 

Sit. Back. Down. 

I feel as though the world is leaning to one side, as though the externals are listing because of a leak or an unbalanced cargo. I'm not sure what the leak is, where the imbalance lies. Death? That time in hospital? The threat of further death or illness, now that my cover is blown and I know that they can come a-calling any time they like? 

Sometimes, I feel I am just waiting for them, reduced to a trembling pile of jelly, pressing myself against the earth and hoping not to catch their eyes. At other times, I feel that I am defiantly dancing about, daring them to come and get us. Flipping the bird at Death and his cronies. 

Either way, at this point in time, we are out of joint, the world and I. Nobody else I know in real life is either quivering on the blasted heath or dancing around giving unfathomable semi-deities the finger. Well, not as I far as I know anyways. 

Even states that were once comfortable, peace, happiness. There is often no contentment to be found in them now. They are too, too sharp, with hooks that stick in my flesh. Frenetic. Manic. Because I know what it is like when they vanish . . . . poof. And you are left wondering if you will ever come across them again. 

Everything seems laden with significance. Portentous. But I don't know what the significance is. I'm just baffled, bewildered. Someone signalling, miles away, through overheard conversations and encounters with strangers. And I'm either high above the clouds or sitting at the bottom of a well. When I just want to stand with my feet on the ground.

I know it won't last. I'll un-slump and be fine. For a time. I'm just slumping because my maternity leave is about to finish and I have to leave Reuben. That's probably the truth of the matter. But everything, everything always seems to come back to the girls for me.

Constant monitoring of feet to check that they are on the floor. Constant monitoring of hands to check that they are doing something useful instead of falling to my sides, instead of covering my face, drifting off to the computer keyboard, balancing to stop this listing, to fake the stability so necessary for spending the majority of one's time with small children. Or anybody at all. Not many people want to spend time with someone who sits on the floor, head tilted to one side, trying to correct the world back to the way she thought it was. Or the way that she feels that it should be. 

And I suspect that this angled world, that upsets me so is the way the world truly is. Probably. That whole humankind cannot bear too much reality schtick. It's true. But I need to see some vision of the external that is compatible with ploughing forward, be that outer world imagined or forced or otherwise, just one that will accompany me whilst I am making sandwiches, smiling, with friendship, with posting photographs of four of us on facebook with a jaunty "all of us!" caption and not feeling haunted by that possible fifth. Or the two who flicker in and out of focus. 
Of looking at other people and not looking for a tell tale motion in the corner of their eye, for signs of their own muscles straining to tilt the world to a respectable angle. To be able to hide that motion in my own eye. 
To be square with the world. Standing in my proper place.
To look squarely at the world. Eyes up. No flinching. No looking away.
To be the bow that is stable. 
Any tips?

Let your bending in the Archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies, so He loves also the bow that is stable.

12 comments:

  1. I have been wondering about all of this a lot lately. Do you suppose that maybe we are trying to force ourselves into some societal mold? I mean is it so wrong for us to walk a little lopsided and feel a little different? I know we have to keep our spirits up and look for happy but I think we do do that. I know you find joy in your two living children, life, the little things.

    Maybe if we can start to accept that we are forever going to be different, our confidence and strength will start to increase. I am obviously starting to feel defiant about all of this. I am tired of people expecting me to perk up and act like my old self. We will never be who we are. I guess we need to embrace who we have become and find a happiness in that new skin.

    I think we should be more like the willow. Bending into the wind, allowing ourselves to move with the motion. Maybe standing tall and straight is overrated?

    I think you should bend as you need and still stare them all in the eye, even if it is at slightly crooked angle looking for shadows. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No tips from me I'm afraid, I'm all tilted with you. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Like grief's boring, miserable second cousin once removed." Brilliant description! This feeling is another shade of sadness, new, and unnerving. Looking forward to un-slumped days as well. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try dancing. It seems to work for Florence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! It's back!

    Now to sneak some reading time during this weekend...hopefully soon! I'm sure I'll have more to say...

    (I'm so glad it showed up again. :)

    xoxo,

    Cathy in Missouri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good suggestion Emily. But I'm dancing to this one
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtXgKIgN5KY It does seem to have un-slumped me a bit so thank you! Hope Kaia is doing ok, I've been thinking of all of you x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes yes yes..."Not many people want to spend time with someone who sits on the floor, head tilted to one side, trying to correct the world back to the way she thought it was. Or the way that she feels that it should be."

    I find myself very alone these days. The world keeps going but it's off kilter and no one else seems to notice. it is dizzying. I too am always looking for the tragedy in someone elses world. It should be tangible and open for all to see, no? Everyone must have a dead baby. It doesn't seem like it is so hard to come by in the world in which I live.
    You wrote about that before when you went to the church and the the woman on the subway.
    I love your writing. You really capture so much of what I feel. Love to you from this side of the off kilter world to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. its been six years since logen. I remember these feelings. Feeling fatigued from grief that was more like " grief's boring, miserable second cousin once removed."
    I remember feeling like I don't want to grieve anymore and yet I still couldn't make it stop. Shortly after that it started to get much easier to push off the "slumps" and while I still have moments of real grief, the slumps have gone away and I am back in a world that is only slightly tilted to one side. Your in a normal place for your grief. I have many memories of these feelings, but I can give you hope that at 6 years+, they are only memories. Your writing is beautiful. It is so hard to put words to the feelings that come along on this painful journey and you get it exactly right everytime.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes - everything feels like it's been pulled into very sharp focus - but what am I supposed to do with that? I understand that life is fragile, that happiness is transient, that grief takes time, that peace is precious. I've learned my lessons. And the problem with a world on a jaunty angle is that we are now constantly watching for what will fall and break next. Everything is just so... precarious.

    But like you, I'm sick of feeling so out of synch. I feel like screaming, "Ok, I get it now, now just put everything straight again!"

    But I'm afraid it'll never be that way again. I've looked at life from that 'off' angle, and now that I've seen it that way, I can't not see it that way, (if that makes sense).

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Well, if anyone remembers my grand un-slumpification project, it is still (ahem) on-going."

    Starting with my usual quote, but I can't help it. I get a kick out of your excellent Catherine W-ness. :)

    I'm not sure I know what un-slumpification looks like any more. It must be, though, something internal (obviously?). What I mean is, I see people deciding to devote themselves to running, or losing weight, or paying off debt, or whatever - and none of that external stuff will do.

    I want something deeper, better, lasting.

    Interested to know: where would you describe the un-slumpification urge as coming from: where is the drive born? Are others saying you slump, are you saying it, is there any way to grieve without slumping in some manner...?

    Trying to figure out what is slumping and what is living on a broken planet and interested in your take,

    Cathy in Missouri

    P.S. "But I'm afraid it'll never be that way again. I've looked at life from that 'off' angle, and now that I've seen it that way, I can't not see it that way, (if that makes sense)." Yes - all the sense in the world. Exactly, Aoife.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No tips, just nodding, eye twitching, fake smile pasted on, plowing forward. love to you darling

    ReplyDelete
  12. No tips at this time, just wanted you to know I stopped by and read and connected with your words yet again. I feel a sort of pull back and forth between embracing the BLM as a major part of my identity but then also wanting to defy that and enjoy all the "normal" things in life...Eventually there has to be some sort of integration or balance. But yeah, that's all I got for now. xo ~Lindsay

    ReplyDelete