Saturday 9 June 2012

The anti anti-depressant

The anti anti-depressant - the works of W.G. Sebald as described by the psychiatrist, Lawrence Kirmayer.

It seems somewhat appropriate that I am countering my attempts to adjust my mood via pharmaceuticals with literature. Sounds like one of those stupid ass things that I would do. Because if you are taking anti depressants, the next logical move would be to take an anti anti-depressant, no?

One of the recurrent themes in Sebald's work, as far as my rather puny understanding goes, is the limited capacity of the human mind for the detail of things. His books tend to focus on the exploration of the histories of small, seemingly unimportant objects. Which are apparently chosen at random.

Thus a whole book, and a good book at that, a story of loss, of absence, of triumph and disaster is spun from one single central object. An old photograph. A stone wall. And Sebald begs the question, where do you stop? Because you can't stop when an object is human in origin, it could link to and resonate with and encompass completely or be a small element of many, many other stories.

An unlimited and, arguably, rather frightening potential. Vertiginous. Inhuman.

And if we approached every object with this Sebaldian world view in mind, we are soon staring into an empty hole. With everything inside it. Because what we are looking at is so vast that it is impossible to assimilate.

****

And I look at the graffiti, in a toilet, in a seaside town. I see x.x. loves x.x. except that they are not called x.x. Unsurprisingly. I can't make out who they are because what was once initials is so heavily scored out as to be unintelligible.

And suddenly I am a teenage girl, scoring out her once proudly carved marker. And the rejected lover. And her mother. And her father. Her friends. Possibly her cat. And I'm wondering about the argument that caused that vicious scoring out. Over and over.

And I blame W.G. Sebald. Thanks a bunch my far more literate friend. You certainly did a number on me.

***

So, my attempts to analyse literature aside, what point am I trying to make?

Writing the previous post led me to reflect on blog commenting, what fuels it, what makes me want to read every post in Angie's series, to say something about every post, to stamp my mark upon it and leave a scrawl underneath it. It is because I feel that I should? Or because I said that I would? What is driving me?

Perhaps part of it is some form of self-punishment. Because I don't like myself and I, most particularly, don't like myself without Georgina. I always felt that it would, somehow, be wrong to be happy without her. That to be happy without her would be to make her brief little life worthless.

So maybe I choose to take the anti anti-depressant. To know that my life is tiny and small. That there are hundreds, thousands of stories that I could read. That I could invest a part of my heart in. Names I could remember. Try to honour.

But I don't think it is quite that simple.

Because to me there is strength in numbers, there is a peculiar beauty in Sebald's world view. Of that vast endless black hole that we finally reach when we attempt to analyse cultural objects, individual stories, buildings.

Because my life IS tiny. It IS worthless. It IS small. One among billions and billions and vanishing away to nothing.

But.

Beauty is truth, truth beauty.

Nobody ever promised comfort or cosiness. Perhaps we see beauty more frequently than we fancy.

To see the truth and not avert my eye. To see the truth in one, refracted back through ten.

And to hear the story that remains untold. Because I know that you are there. Silent. But I hear you, whispering. With my ear pressed down against the wire.

If I were a confidence interval I would not be 95% or 98%. There is no certainty in me. I would be the odds of my eldest daughter's chance of life. Disappearing-ly thin. And sometimes I hate myself for not being a semi-deity. For not remembering every detail, every image, every word.

So what do I hope to become? A strange being with the ability to absorb grief, to hold it close to the heart, to feel it, to remember? There's hubris for you.

But there is, perhaps, some grace in the effort. However feeble.

But I hope to hold a story, unrelated to my own, in my mind. Just passingly (which is far less than they deserve.)

To fill my mind with one. With yours. With the brief, the unsung, the tiny, the small.
The beautiful. The true.

Because in loving yours, I love my own.

17 comments:

  1. our size in the world is relative - you are everything to your family but one among the multitudes in the big picture. so, do you matter? yes. no. all relative.

    and blogging gives us a place to matter, to matter by being there for each other and a place for our babes to matter.

    community ... because by oneself one really really doesn't matter.

    I try to read all the series, but it's just tooo much. I at least try to read the posts of those who commented on mine. still not caught up tho.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think in loving ours, we collectively stand with you in a faint circle, emboldened, promising never to forget your own.

    There are days when I am a woman who once lost a child, and then there are days that I all I am is a woman who lost a child, and nothing else. Because the grief is a jilted lover who hates to be ignored.

    I've only done the Angie 'where I am now' post once, and then I cried a river. I don't think I can muster up the guts to reevaluate it again. Especially now that I have a living son....

    Thanks for stopping by...Reese.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder... Are jessica and Rueben not worth being happy for? I was taking anti-depressants. My anti-anti-depressant was stopping taking them. I am happy without Camille in a very confused and lopsided way. A way that I would not be happy if she were here bececause my happiness would be whole and not broken. I refuse not to ve happy, Kai deserves this, and he is alive and he cares and reflects that. Which, is why I have extra guilt about short tempered me and saddness that bubbles forth because of the emptiness Camille has left behind.
    The insignificance of our lives does not make me miss less, it makes me miss more. We only impact in ripples in our world and part of our ripple is in our children. I hate thinking of us as ants. Too small in this universe, that is much too depressing and something I perseverated on in my late teens. I wish you love and happiness in your broken state. We have suffered so much, we deserve what is left in this life. Although we both know deserving has nothing to do with anything... I say take it where we can get it. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Renel. It's a bit complicated. I AM happy, happy than I have ever been, in my own confused and lopsided way. Certainly far more happy than I was before I had children. Even though Georgina died, she still fills me with an intense happiness. Jessica and Reuben are more than worth being happy for. I just have a tendency to become very rapidly overwhelmed by my own feelings? If that makes any sense? I feel as though I am not doing a particularly good job of explaining myself here! The ads are to address that rather than 'sadness' as such,

      I don't think I much mind being an ant. Peering into that strange abyss of everything-ever kind of fills me with a bizarre wonder. To be part of something so unwieldy and complex is quite an honour, even if I am only a tiny, wee bit.

      Delete
  4. So rich and full of its usual impact. I need time to digest your words and will return soon. Sending love. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. "But there is, perhaps, some grace in the effort."

    So much grace, I think. Just as there is in you, beautiful friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely Jill. I think of the warmth in your voice and I think that there is is grace in abundance there. Thank you for being here, in this strange internet place x

      Delete
  6. I read this and think of you sitting in the car in the snow, saying names outloud to the wind. Most certainly there is grace in what you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sara, that means so much from you. One of the most graceful people I have ever had the good fortune to meet x

      Delete
  7. I think people love looking at the stars for many reasons, but I rather like the reminder that I'm a tiny speck on a tiny speck, orbiting around a tiny spark, hurtling through space. The fact that we are all here and our particular selves while also being tiny specks is comforting, somehow.

    There is something - I don't know if I can ever get at the whys and hows of it - so immensely important in being a witness for another person's life, or even a bit of another person's life. We talk all the time about how important listening is, but listening seems to be more and more a lost art and perhaps those who are the best listeners are made to feel a bit odd and lonely because of that, because it is an odd and often lonely calling. I think I'm getting rambly, but I am always grateful when I find you there, listening. I know you can see the beauty in these stories of lives so beautiful but also so very brief - too brief, too bright.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erica - I agree. I feel it in my bones. That we all want, and deserve, to be heard. To witness a little bit if someone else's life seems very important to me at the moment. And that does, currently, make me feel a little odd! At odds with the world. I'm glad and honoured that you take the time to listen to me. More than I could ever say.

      Delete
  8. I can't even express how blown away I am by this post, and how unequal I feel to the task of giving you the kind of response it deserves. I just fucking love it. Every single word.

    And when I say love, I mean that it hits me hard--painfully, beautifully accurate. I bleed, and it's a relief.

    I'm afraid I'm not making any sense....Sometimes I feel like an anti-antidepressant myself.

    Just....I don't want to embarrass you, but you're my hero right now. You're amazing.

    That's all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw MissingMolly. I don't make any sense at times. Often and often. Or I read back things I have written that SEEMED to make sense at the time and they seem so much gibberish. Or flim flam ;)

      We don't have to make sense here. You have been MY hero this past week. I have been on holiday with my extended family and I have been retreating to read your blog and comment (fat fingeredly) on my iPad. My niece caught me looking at your blog and said, astutely, 'Aunt C, you like to be alone sometimes don't you?' and I said, 'Yes, it is part of how I am made and I like to read what other people say and think about it, on my own. Although obviously I don't mind YOU in particular sitting here with me."

      I like to think we have made it clear to my dear niece that this course of action is an option!

      Delete
  9. Yes, MM - you are just right.

    CW, are you sure?

    Are you sure your life is tiny and worthless and small?

    What if it isn't? And you are not just vanishing away to nothing?

    What if you matter so much that you will never, ever not-matter?

    Your post reminds me of a shell, a smooth, winding, sliding vortex of layered meaning, circling.

    I can't buy, I don't buy, I don't believe that you don't matter.

    You are not tiny to me. You are not small.

    CiM

    “... but the rain
    Is full of ghosts tonight”

    {Edna St. Vincent Millay, The Harp-Weaver and Other Poems}

    Which has nothing to do with anything, except that you and ESt.VM pour a similar, welcome, penetrating, insight-imparting measure to my soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are inspiring me to . . perhaps. no promises . . diverge into reading some ESt.VM and you know I have room for only one poet (or possibly two!)

      Hmmm? On the mattering / not-mattering conundrum? I don't know. It could go either way! I'm not sure that I mind entirely. I'd prefer to matter but I'm happy to settle for not mattering.

      But you are not tiny to me either CiM. Not small. Perhaps we all matter more than we suspect. After all could be that Kirmayer has Sebald all wrong (he is a psychiatrist after all!)

      It just may happen that the rain is full of ghosts, sometimes that seems to be more than likely. More likely than humanity as ants.

      Delete
  10. Yes, you do, Catherine. Yes, you do. I heard your voice on so many of those "where I am" posts. I am so thankful to have you to reach out to any time.

    You like to go out to the snowy woods every day, You know they are never empty. They are alive with the suffering. The survivors. Us. "Yes, I am still here."

    According to my calendar, August is coming back. Sending warmth and love

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have often thought about why I am so drawn to stories of babies gone too soon. Although I believe there are many reasons that I feel the need to read others' stories, one of the biggest is that I feel that I am somehow honoring Elena by allowing another baby to touch my life, even if briefly, to remember another precious little life. I absolutely love how you phrase it--- "Because in loving yours, I love my own."

    ReplyDelete