Monday 18 June 2012

Hope There's Someone

I'm at work. Collaborating. Leaning forwards towards the computer screen. Identifying errors, here and there. Discussing what we believe to have failed. Tracing the bug in our formulae.

I sit opposite a young man, intelligent and quick. He has clever hands, I notice. They fly here and there. He speaks softly. Agrees vehemently, corrects gently. My kind of guy.

I hope I reflect him back to himself.

The office is quiet.

So we sit, waiting for our latest attempt to run through, crossing our fingers. Hoping that we don't cause the whole extraction process to keel over in horror at our inept attempts to speak the language of computers. We make desultory small talk.

Painful at the best of times in a roomful of people like me, who aren't built for small talk. Confident and happy whilst discussing numbers and computer code, we tend to struggle a little on more shaky ground.

We talk about subjects studied at university, him - law and politics, me - neuroscience and statistics.
What we did at the weekend, him - claims to be unable to remember making me feel very old indeed, me - my sister in law's 40th birthday party.

Children.

How many do I have?
Two.

Are they twins?
No, I say. Imagine that. That would be so tough. My niece and nephew are twins, it's really hard work.

I don't suppose he notices my slight hesitation.

The lady in the next cubicle chips in with, wouldn't you just love to have twins, get it all over with at once?
Oh no. I say. Not me. One at a time is enough for me.

I feel uneasy.
Not because I wanted to say something because what would I have achieved by saying that well, actually, whadda you know, my eldest (who isn't my eldest) was a twin but her sister died? How funny that you think that I might have had twins, what a coincidence.

I would have made two kind people feel awkward and upset. Perhaps. Momentarily.

Strange. How it still floors me. I don't need to cry or excuse myself. I don't need to say anything at all. Just smile and nod.

But it feels as though somebody is bending my fingers back.

Really? Says my husband.
Even after all this time?

Yes. I say.
I'm sorry. I know it should be different by now.

Strange how it does not become more acceptable with time.
It is easier to manoeuvre around. I don't need to weep or wail or tell people.
I don't need to go and hide and cry.
Her death is part of her.
Her taboo-ness, her hidden-ness, is part of her.
Awkwardness. Her mother's daughter. Poor child.
A hidden daughter that I can't really speak about because she is not socially acceptable.
But to me.
She is.
Accepted.
Adored.
And what do I care about the rest?

But, as I walk out to go and buy my lunchtime sandwich, I can't help but think.
I held her. She was still alive.
I wonder if she felt at all reassured by my arms.
Probably not.

I think of her life. My daughter's life. I see dark and hear a distant thump, thump.
Perhaps I feel a sister, perhaps not.
Then I see a blur of disconnected, blurry images.
Loud noises.
Through half-formed eyes, half-formed ears.
Indecipherable and strange.
And then I'm gone.

Sounds a bit like a truncated version of my own life really.
I hope there are arms to catch me at the end. But I won't hope for too much.

I hope the painkillers worked. My darling. If I can't have you back. That is what I wish.
That you drifted away, in the arms of someone who could not have loved you more.
I've been wishing it since the beginning.
And because I'll never know.
I'll be wishing it until the end.



17 comments:

  1. "Are they twins?" Oh Catherine, that made me catch my breath, reading it. I can only imagine how it must have been for you to be asked. I think back to Angie's Right Where I am - our daughters are not anecdotes. I'm much more comfortable not sharing Emma, after reading that, a lightbulb moment. They are precious, loved deeply, not spoken of lightly. Seared deep in our hearts if not on our lips.

    I hate that our children are not "acceptable". They should be. They are here, accepted and adored. Precious and beloved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Georgina is acceppted where it matters most; with people who get it but for it not to be "acceptable" is the proverbial knife twisting.
    Cava

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, the questions don't get easier do they. It's strange how the answers can be true and yet not your truth (if that makes any sense). I like to think she was comforted by your arms; I believe she was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh Catherine, that last paragraph, that's what I hope for Florence too, that the morphine worked, that she knew I was holding her and loving her as she slipped away.

    I've found myself lately, not answering the questions about family size in the same way I would have a year ago. I hate that our children are not acceptable in polite company, but then I also think they are too precious for small talk, totally get the feeing fingers being pulled back though. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Catherine, this just floored me. We can only hope, and believe, that it was peaceful for them, and that they knew we loved and love them more than anything.

    Only special someones get to know about Calla these days, and mostly I don't feel like I'm lying or drowning. Mostly.

    Love to you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I hope the painkillers worked." That is one of the saddest sentences I have ever read, I think. I hope they did, too. I'm sure they did. I'm sure Georgina felt your love. I think they must. I have to think they must.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is something about everyday conversation that is just filled with these painful explosions, that seem to happen only inside us, the babylost. I feel them too, everyday. I relate to feeling as though your fingers are being bent back, I feel it too. I hold my breath, plow forward, then I am alone again at some point, I exhale, think of how nothing will ever be as it was before my child died. I feel slump shouldered most of the time, I sense that you feel the same, that we both go forward daily with the best of intentions to do right by the living, but we remain tied to the dead in ways that many simply cannot fathom.

    My love,
    Mindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy, thank you. You make me feel less alone, less abnormal. Although I am sorry that you find yourself here too, tied to the dead, I am so glad of your company. I so often think of you and your Henry.
      That is precisely how I feel, I am full of good intentions and sometimes they come off but I remain entangled with my eldest child in a way that not many people might have much sympathy for or understand. But you do. Thank you xo

      Delete
    2. You put it so perfectly - that sense of continuing a conversation with a smile on your face, so as to preserve the other person's comfort, and all the while feeling as though your fingers are being bent back... This is EXACTLY how it feels.

      And I just had to nod through Mindy's comment... Going forward with the best of intentions to do right by the living, but always tied to the dead...

      I'll never not be tied to my boy that's gone, but I'll always try to do my best by my boy that lives. It's a tricky path to walk.

      Delete
  8. I would shout it for you, we are twin mothers, we have one survivor and another that never leaves our heart or thoughts. We have 3 children where you see only 2! I too feel that pain and want to scream my beautiful daughters name. Alia AND Lily. I stay silent too.....

    i am sitting here crying tears for you beautiful daughter and mine, knowing in my heart that they were encompassed by love and felt only that as they drifted off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Deb, I am so sorry that you find yourself without one of your precious daughters. You are so right, they ever leave our hearts or our thoughts.

      Delete
  9. I imagine my husband thinks "really?" all the time as well. Yes, really. Really.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I sit opposite a young man, intelligent and quick. He has clever hands, I notice. They fly here and there. He speaks softly. Agrees vehemently, corrects gently. My kind of guy.

    I hope I reflect him back to himself.

    (You do, lovely Woman, in more ways than you think.)

    *****

    But it feels as though somebody is bending my fingers back.

    Really? Says my husband.
    Even after all this time?

    Yes. I say.
    I'm sorry. I know it should be different by now.

    (Oh, oh, oh, oh ~ fingers. And, why should it be different now? Ever?)

    *****

    Sounds a bit like a truncated version of my own life really.
    I hope there are arms to catch me at the end. But I won't hope for too much.

    I hope the painkillers worked. My darling.

    (Words, words, wordless. "...arms to catch me at the end...")

    *****

    I am so unworthy to comment here.

    None-the-less,

    CiM

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do this, too, protect those around my from this story. Or am I protecting Teddy's story from them? Maybe both? It's never painless, though.

    And the painkillers. Oh, Catherine. I remember begging that he not be uncomfortable or in pain. And I'm not sure I've ever stopped that particular bit of begging. I hope they worked, worked very well, that she didn't feel a twinge of pain, just your arms and your love.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If I leave my babies out of the equation I usually tear up while talking, or stray from the conversation, right in front of people. Its very awkward, sometimes I care who I spare and sometimes I dont. Sometimes they back away and others embrace me and ask whats wrong. I wish we didnt have to even think these things. Im sorry honey xoxoxo Love, Nan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Catherine. I have been meaning to stop by and leave a comment on so many of your posts. I love how you write. It is so hard to bring them up in casual conversations but it hurts so much to leave them out. I struggle with this everyday. My husband on the other hand has found his voice and now talks of our Braedon often. I hope that one day the conversations become easier but I suppose it may be just a part of our lives now.

    Your sweet baby girl, I beleive that when they leave in our arms they feel no pain only love.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "I hope the painkillers worked. My darling. If I can't have you back. That is what I wish.
    That you drifted away, in the arms of someone who could not have loved you more."

    No words. Just lots of tears. And nods. xx

    ReplyDelete