Monday 25 June 2012

The Unlived Life

I listened to an interview with the psychoanalyst, Adam Philips, on my way to work this morning. He was speaking about his book, Missing Out: In Praise of the Unlived Life.

Most of us, spend a huge amount of our lives, our actual lived lives, thinking about lives that we are not (in reality) actually living. Peculiar.

For every door we open, thousands slam shut.
Some seem eternally out of reach, locked and barred.
Or tantalising ajar, if only we could . . . .
Most of us don't get the glossy lives depicted in Hello magazine.
Doesn't stop us dreaming.

I don't dream of my life as Beyonce or Angelina. If only I'd been in the right place, could sing, could act, was more physically attractive, didn't prematurely eject babies from my uterus? I could have been a contender.

My unlived lives are far more modest affairs. I know that I still, on occasion, think of my life as a pharmacist. If only I had taken up that university place instead of sticking closer to home to be near my then boyfriend. Because that was worth it. Snort.

Or my life married to snort-inducing boyfriend. Double snort.

I was speaking to a colleague at work the other day who told me that, when he left university, he had two job offers. One working for the health service, where his lived life took him and how he ended up sitting over the desk from me last week, and another, at the Financial Times. And his face was wistful and animated as he discussed his possible future, years ago, as a journalist at the Financial Times. This life he never had still, somehow, lived within him.

These unlived lives are a strange mixture of hope and regret.

We seem to need to reflect on what we want, on what we could have, those lives that we do not currently live, in order to hope, in order to plough forward. To harness our frustration with the absence of what we want, to identify what precisely it is that we want, to plan and scheme and dream of how to achieve what we need, to live this unlived life of our yearning wishes.

If we could not imagine anything other than our real lives, we would have no spur, no push, no stick and no carrot.

And our frustration slides along a continuum, from the cries of the child to works of literature and music. That yearning, that frustration, that want, for the unlived life, those lives that illustrate what it is that is missing from our own? Accompanies us, throughout our days.

I think of my daughter. The single embodiment of my unlived life. A super dense entity, collapsing in on herself. With the weight of all my yearning focused on such a tiny point in space and time. Poor child.

Every scream I ever screamed as an infant. every sigh I ever sighed as a child gazing out of my bedroom window, melancholy for no reason that I could articulate. Every teenage tantrum and occasion of drinking myself into a stupor. This blog. Every word. Yearns. Leans. Towards her. The central mystery and, in some ways, the central figure, the defining relationship of my life.

I have identified, very precisely, what it is that I want. Something that I have no hope of obtaining.
A relationship with a real human being. A baby, a child, a young woman. Who would poop and cry her own screams of want and frustration and fall over and hit me and throw her food on the ground and read books and make cups of tea. Generating her own unlived lives, like streamers from her fingers as she was pulled through time.

But, no.

Instead I have a relationship with a strange semi-celestial being. Who seems to symbolise Death and wonder and love and parenthood. And so many, many mysterious, baffling things. A puzzle. A trap that encircles my hand and is, whilst not painful, intractable. The one who lives no life at all. Or every life with every possibility, reduced to something so small that she can carry them around in her pocket.

I do still hope for her. In ways that are, obviously and inherently flawed. Because that life, my life as Georgina's mother, here, in actuality, will remain forever unlived. A dream, unfulfilled. A love, unrequited. A daughter who can still light my face up with wistfulness and anticipation.

But the hope, the want, the yearning, still drives me forward.
Still encourages me to live.
Pushed forward by tiny, gentle hands. They are kind but insistent.
'Live," they say. "Wake up," echoing their twin's hands. Elsewhere.

****

But this isn't for her.

It's for a beautiful girl with a pirate smile. A feisty spirit.

How the years pass without you? Well, I just don't know.

Blue jean baby, L.A. lady, seamstress for the band
Pretty eyed, pirate smile, you'll marry a music man
Ballerina, you must have seen her dancing in the sand
And now she's in me, always with me, tiny dancer in my hand



13 comments:

  1. Generating her own unlived lives, like streamers from her fingers as she was pulled through time.

    {Georgina, so lovely ~ streamers from your fingers, in words}

    *****

    The only way, ever, to re-visit my unlived lives

    would be to take everything learned

    (the hard way)

    along with me.

    Otherwise, I'd much rather die and see what the Next Life holds.

    Either way: Door #2, please.

    Love, love Elton,

    A Not So Tiny Dancer,

    CiM

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is profound. You are an amazing writer. You articulate things I couldn't even begin to.... Yet I think and feel them all the time

    ReplyDelete
  3. What to say? I'm not sure today. Just, yes. But I need to say more than that. This deserves more.
    You, Georgina's mummy, are wonderful.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, this deserves more, but all I can muster after a sleep battle with my three year old, is that I think this is beautifully original and thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have spent so many nights since Anja died going back in my head to different moments in my life and wondering what would have happened if I'd made different decisions, followed different paths. I didn't used to do this - or at least not with such regularity - before she died. I think I want to find a time where I was sort of simply happy and move my life from there in the continuing direction of that simple happiness. But, like Groves said above, to do that means to lose everything else, too - possibly R and E, certainly Anja - and that's an unbearable thought. But, this post makes me think that going back to the unlived lives might be not so much an act of avoidance but maybe a way to try to move forward, to identify what of those times I want back in this time. And, yes, of course, the ultimate unlived life for me will always be my life as mother to living Anja, and her own unlived lives, those many hopeful lives she should have held in her own mind and heart. Beautiful as always - so glad you are here. (Auto-correct kept wanting to change unlived to unloved - unloved lives is so much sadder than unlived and at least all Anja's and Georgina's unlived lives are well, well loved.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How the years pass by without her? I just don't know. That IS profound, Catherine. You are truly amazing. .......baby I'm amazed at the way you help me sing my song............... XO Christine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wishing our babies were living their lives, and not unliving them...I guess we can only hope they carry on up in the sky together...big hugs xoxoxo Nan

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so beautiful Catherine and perfectly said as always. We will always live for the unlived lives of our daughters. Such a strange place to be, waiting what we will never have and somehow we have to make peace with it in order to keep moving forward. If only I knew the secret.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've often given myself a hard time over choices I made in my life before Seamus... (Not finishing a course, behaving like an idiot and falling out with friends, and the big one - my stupid career choice...) But after losing Seamus, all of that changed, because I know that on my death bed, I won't be regretting my work life or a friend I lost contact with in 1992... None of that matters. All of those choices and decisions melt away into insignificance, and I'll be left with the only regret that matters, the only one that I can't do a thing to change, the one where Seamus died.

    The unlived life I will spend all my years wistfully fantasizing about is the one where Seamus lived.

    I try to make that spur me on to be a better mother, to soak in every second with Hugo, to enjoy the present a bit more because who knows when it might all go wrong again, but I'm only partially successful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been thinking and thinking about this post and about unlived lives and about all of those decisions that shaped the course of the life I'm living. It's such a web, and so hard to see except in snatches and bits. And mostly, I think, I'd pick this life, the one I'm living, except, as you write so well, I want it to include a relationship with that real human being who should have been.

    So much love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been thinking about this for the last two days. To and from work my mind goes here, to my unlived life. Most days I am pretty good about living in this real one but lately I've been crossing over to peek at the other one.
    Beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful post Cath.. esp. the imagery that comes with this song. Thank you as well for your help with my last posts.. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Catherine, this is just beautiful. You have such a good way of tracing around the edges of this indescribable process of parenting the babies that didn't survive. I've spent much of the two and half years since our accident trying to draw my gaze back to this life, away from the mesmerising prospect of what our life would look like if we hadn't been on that road on that day. What we've got instead is indeed this "relationship with a strange semi-celestial being" - that sums it up beautifully. I love that Georgina is your Tiny Dancer. xxxxh

    ReplyDelete