Monday 23 August 2010

Soothe

Driving home from work, listening to a discussion about infidelity on the radio.

The pundit speaking is a RELATE counsellor, working for a charity providing relationship support.

He says that, in his experience, men and women cheat on their spouses for similar reasons, to help them to get through the complexity of life. He says that, if you watch, when a child falls over and hurts themselves, their mother or father runs over and comforts the child. Because children cannot soothe themselves.

But as an adult there is nobody to soothe your hurts, you have to soothe yourself. As an adult, you have to find a mechanism to cope with the hurts that life inflicts. One of the things that people use to patch themselves up is sex.

I'm not sure if I agree with his theory about infidelity.
That explanation seems a little simplistic to me. Low self-esteem is at the root of most infidelity? Seems almost a little . . . pedestrian, a little dull.
But what would I know?
I've only ever had two relationships. I'm kind of a dunce with these things.

But I was thinking about soothing. The need of the child to be comforted, the need of a parent to soothe. Something deep within the most basic recesses of the brain. Need seems almost too weak a word.
To brush away tears.
To hold those small limbs close to your bones.
To mutter those strange nonsense words, that parental babbling that bestows strange nicknames and sings funny little songs.
To mutter the even more nonsensical, "Mama's here. You're safe. Nothing will happen to you. It's okay now."

The first time I uttered words like that in earnest, it was such a terrible lie. But I wanted it to be true, so badly. And the instinct to tell that lie is a strong one.

I still tell it. To Jessica. Mama is here and she will save you, protect you. Chase the monsters away. I only wish I could. Shut down the noise of traffic whilst she sleeps, dim the sun that shines in her eyes, run my finger over the scars left by the many lines that were plunged into her veins and erase them.

My mind runs riot. A private education. A pony. A castle. A crown. A twin sister.

None of which I can provide. But perhaps the fact that I wish to provide them is more to the point. I don't think anyone wishes ponies and crowns for me. Perhaps my own mother. Still.


I couldn't soothe my daughters after birth. They were thrust out into pain, light and noise before they were ready for even the most delicate touch. Their cries went without response. Their hurts were simply left to ache. Comfortless. I find that very difficult to think about now. Very painful. Their little bodies flinching. Their attempts at cries.

I don't know if my presence helped Georgina at all. Love can do many things. But I don't know that it can overcome pain, I know that it can't overcome illness and death. I did love her. I do love her. In a world that appears to be infinitely more confusing than I suspected that is about the only solid fact I have left.
And I can only hope. That it was a comfort to her, to be held at last. To hear a familiar voice.
As I held on and she let go.
Perhaps it was a relief for both of us.

Being an adult I should have, supposedly, developed the ability to soothe myself. To produce some mental equivalent of sticking my thumb in my mouth.

I suppose I had, to some extent, prior to this.
When I was upset, I had my little surburban dreams to dream, to soothe myself to sleep with.
Of houses I would decorate. What colours the walls would be. The items to be placed neatly on shelves. Stacks of ironed sheets. Cool tiles.
Gardens that I would plant.
Strangely, even children that I would have.
That one is no longer on the soothing dream schedule surprisingly enough.

Sometimes I try and manifest these dreams into physical being. I purchase coordinated bed linen with a matching cushion cover. I buy one of those air fresheners with three separate scents that clicks over over the smell is always noticeable. I plant a pink lavender. But these articles lose their sense of perfection the moment they touch my clammy hands. They know something is wrong in my house.

I don't often dream of children these days. We all know how that one ended up. Nothing soothing to be found there.

Sometimes I imagine that I am a child again. That I can appeal to my own parents. Or to the large fuzzy benevolent God of my childhood. I shrink my limbs. I shut my eyes. I can almost hear my parents putting out the breakfast dishes downstairs. My father's voice reverberating. The kettle boiling. The smell of the early 1980s.

But there is no true comfort there.
Maybe some things simply cannot be soothed. Too painful to patch up with even the most far fetched sticking plaster.

From as early as I can remember, my mother used to sing Leonard Coh.en songs to me.
These songs run through my childhood like a steel wire.
I don't know if it is because they remind me of children or because they remind that I am not on my own.
I always used to play 'Sis.ters of Mercy' to myself. When I was upset.
I don't know what it is about. According to the You Tu.be commentators, possibly nuns? Or prostitutes?

But I think it is about something more graceful than that. More graceful than religion or sex.
I don't think that the mercy he is singing about is something embodied in a profession. Or even in a person.
It would take a great deal to be a true sister of mercy all of the time. But perhaps we all can be, albeit transiently?

I think there are some around these parts.
A comfort.

'Oh the sisters of mercy, they are not departed or gone.
They were waiting for me when I thought that I just can't go on.
And they brought me their comfort and later they brought me this song.
Oh I hope you run into them, you who've been travelling so long.'


11 comments:

  1. this post was heartbreakingly honest and lovely as expected.

    i do hope you find something soothing, even for just a moment.

    xoxo
    lis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great song and so great that your mother used to sing Leonard Cohen songs to you. My dad used to sing Bob Dylan and Neil Young songs to me. Maybe that is why I see by all the music you post on here that we share the same taste in music.

    I also have such a hard time with not knowing if I was able to give my son any kind of comfort as he died. I hope so. I hope we gave some measure of comfort to our children. I like to think that we did.

    -Brianna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that all you can do is try in some situations. You did the best you could and I have to think that your daughters know/knew that.

    And truly, if a monster came for Jessica, wouldn't you throttle it with your bare hands? You're more powerful than you know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish love could ease pain and suffering as well. I loved Hope. I love her. But I know she suffered.
    I wish I could change things for us both.
    Another amazing post.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Georgina totally felt your love and your presence, and was comforted. I truly believe that in the depths of my soul.

    I utter those words too and yet, I cant squash my own demons... Cant save their siblings... Fear that one day there will be something I cant save them from.

    And yet, we continue to tell the words... To hope that- one day- we can believe them too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I say it, too, all the time - "It's all right. Everything will be all right." I hope it's true, but I don't know that it is, and I'm never sure how big a lie I'm telling.

    I wish you could have a pony, and a castle. I wish there was a way to know that your presence brought comfort to Georgina. I think it did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Telling the truth...telling lies...all of it is the same really, because in reality, we have no idea what will happen. We express our wishes to protect...our fervor to love...it all is true. In the end...they know. They know how deeply they are loved...and even protected; if only in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that thing about fidelity is a load of crap. i can think of a million better reasons to cheat than that. i mean, not GOOD good reasons, but you know what i mean.

    i choose to believe that georgina knew you were there. that your presence soothed her as she moved on from this world.

    that it made it easier for her.

    huge hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always hoped that Serenity died without pain or fear, but I will never really know.

    There is not much comfort out there for us, not true comfort.

    And I can't even remember what things I used to dream of, before.

    Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You WERE a comfort to Georgina. I just know you were. She knew your voice and your smell and your hearbeat. She knew, mommy was there, she knew.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry to be so late to this post. Catherine, I don't believe in much at all any more, but I do believe that your presence was a comfort to Georgina. I have complete conviction in that one fact. And I view you as a sister of mercy.

    ReplyDelete