Saturday 28 August 2010

Inbetween Days

These strange inbetween days.

Yesterday, I took Jessica to nursery for her second visit. She stayed for an hour and a half and I left her there.
With strangers.
On her own.

It is the first time I have left her with anyone outside of the family (and only the second or third time I have left her for any reason other than to go out and earn money). When I left the nursery, I missed my turning. Which necessitated turning around and driving back the same route I had come, past the nursery building.

I knew that the little frame, those bones, that skull with its thin covering of hair and skin that I have pressed my face against so many times, that brain, that sweet face, that child of mine. She was inside that building. And I couldn't see her. A woman who I hardly know was responsible for her.
Would comfort her if she cried.
Or so I hoped.

Every instinct I possess was screaming at me to storm back in there and retrieve my daughter. But I didn't. Because she deserves to have some normality, playing with other children, a break from her overly protective and hovering mother. 

Before I had children, I remember hearing this quote. 

'Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.'

At the time I found it at little . . . hysterical. Kind of over-egging the pudding.

But it isn't. And it is even harder when you make the decision to have your heart go walking around outside your body when it doesn't walk around. When it dies instead. When part of your heart is lost to you forever. When part of your heart is ashes. Momentous indeed.

Georgina rises to the surface of my thoughts during these inbetween days.
Two years ago she was alive. She was alive. She lived. It seems so improbable that she ever did. Those words seem so incongruous even as I type them.
Georgina was alive.
That tiny child.
My daughter with her blue eyes, her tiny hands.
Lived.

I was in the supermarket with Jessica after her nursery visit. The supermarket has just re-opened with the addition of a large clothing section. Supermarket clothing is, generally, very cheap here in England. As the department was new there was a 25% discount on top of the already tempting price. I spotted a duffle coat. Navy blue and cream with a pink stripe and a hood. Large buttons down the front.

I frantically calculated the discount and walked around the shop internally debating whether I really needed another coat (I don't), if the coat was a bargain or not (it was) and how pissed off my husband would be to find another coat in the wardrobe (mildly).

My thoughts were full of this potential purchase.

Then . . . . 

I thought . . 

this time last year she was alive.

And suddenly I wanted to rip that coat up. And the 25% reduction. And myself.
In front of everyone.
I wanted to be mad. Shredding clothes in a surburban supermarket.
Keening in the aisles.
Banging my head on the cold, bland, uncaring shop floor.
Because my daughter died.

A while ago now.

I wanted to burn down every item there.
Because I was so full of rage.
Because my daughter died.

Even after all this time. All these days.
I am still, sometimes, incandescent. 
In my own feeble way. 

But, of course, I did nothing.
I reached a decision.
I paid for the coat. I left.
Because that is all anyone can do.
In the face of this. 
In the face of all those hidden pains that inhabit the discount clothing section of a supermarket.
More than just mine I fear.


Three days.
These inbetween days.
They are simultaneously long and so painfully short.
Three days.
Can pass very quickly. 
Time flies by when you are having fun as they say.
On the other hand, if you are experiencing intolerable pain, I should imagine that the time drags rather.

I wish I knew.

Did it hurt?
Was she in pain?
I hope that the morphine did as they promised me, wrapped her in a comfortable haze. That the pharmaceuticals embraced her body, soothed the pain that her mother could not.

That question will resurface throughout my life.
Did it hurt you my sweet girl?
And I will never, ever know the answer.
I've asked it here before. I know I'll ask it again.

Georgina.
I know that you will never be far from my thoughts.
Birthdays.
Christmas.
Your sister's first day at school.
Your sister losing her first tooth.
Your sister's first . . . well, everything, anything.
Jessica is accompanied by a pale sister, a transparent filigree of a might have been. 
Delicate and gleaming. A glimpse. A ghost. 
A sister forever at an angle, leaning away from us even as I lean towards her. Angled away. That child who escaped me. Who I can never hope to touch.

I drove myself to tears by attempting to imagine how I will feel at Jessica's wedding.
This was when Jessica was still in hospital. Not even three months old.
And already I was conjuring.

As my mom would say, "do not go and fetch the baboons out from behind the hill, they will come anyway."
The English equivalent would be something like "never trouble trouble, until trouble troubles you."

But the loss, the inverse of Georgina will, I think, always be there. I don't have to reach for it, it is already a part of me.

I already imagine how I will feel when I can no longer have any more children. That day may have already come for all I know but when it comes conclusively. How will I feel? To know that I will always be missing one. That my child bearing years started out like this and are now complete. That there will be no more chances.

When my mind starts to falter. When I can no longer remember. Myself. My name. Her father. Her sister. 
Will I remember her still? 
Will I remember my Georgina?

As more than a sister that could have been?
As more than my child that could have been?
More than a twin that wasn’t?
More than a shadow?

As her very own sweet self.
Who was.
Very briefly in this world.
That particular person.

Georgina.

Never again.
But she was.

Georgina.

I miss you.
I love you.
Still.
And I still don't have anything new to say.
But I am so very without you my girl.
Without you.
In these inbetween days.
And those that follow.
And next year.
And the year after. 

20 comments:

  1. This is sort of how I feel during the days between Hope's due date and five days later on her birthday when she was born still. I know she was alive those days, and I know my body was working to bring her forth, but little did I know things were drastically starting to unwravel and that on those days, she was beginning to slip away from me.
    Your writing is so delicate and beautiful, Catherine. Much like your sweet girls.
    I really don't know what to say.
    I miss her. I wish she was here.
    I send you loads of love.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. hugs, catherine...

    on no consequences day, i hope you get to shred an entire store worth of clothes.

    (how weird to sell clothes in the grocery store!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry Georgina is not with you Catherine...You will always rememeber her as the precious gift in your life, even if it was only for such a short time.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Catherine, as you so often do, you have written here so much that touches my heart. I've been in that same situation, pondering a new purchase, just yesterday it was new boots, and then wanting to tear myself appart. She's not here and I'm buying new boots?
    But this paragraph,
    "When my mind starts to falter. When I can no longer remember. Myself. My name. Her father. Her sister.
    Will I remember her still?
    Will I remember my Georgina?"

    Just killed me, I've sat and thought this too.

    Love to you, these days are hard. I'm holding you close in my thoughts. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. The way you describe your rage resonated with me... I find myself in those moments in the most odd of situations...

    Sending hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your mom sounds like a wise woman. But have our baboons not already come, and moved in with us?
    I had the same difficulties leaving my son at preschool, he was about 6 months older than Jessica, still, if husband was not there basically forcing me, and holding me while I cried, waiting with me in the parking lot, it would not have been done. For my son, it was best for him to be with other kids, being an only child. However, I have these same feelings of anxiety as he attends a new school in less than 2 weeks...
    It is so difficult to part with him. I feel like there's something wrong with me. It helps to know I'm not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have any words Catherine, except to nod and say I know. I don't have in between days, due date, birth date and death date are all one for us, but still these thoughts resonate. Much love in these strange and precious and surreal days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes. I wonder many of the same things, and I think I always will. There's no way to know for certain, one way or another, about much of anything, sometimes. The only certainty? I miss him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so often wonder about that transparent figure too. The one who will forever be in the periphery. Whether or not I have more children in the future that ghost will always be there, just always out of reach.

    Georgina lived. She was completely herself and unique and beautiful. Just like Jessica.

    Thinking of you all during these in between days.

    -Brianna

    ReplyDelete
  10. xxxx

    Beautiful words Catherine. Thinking of you xxh

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm stumbling for words. Thinking of you on these in between days, thinking of Georgina and bearing witness to her too short life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thinking of you and your girls.

    I wish I knew, that I could answer definitively for both you and myself that the morphine did everything we could have asked and more, that it didn't hurt. I hope with all of me that it didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sending so much love, Catherine. I was in a place with no signal all weekend but Georgina was in my thoughts all weekend.

    Love love love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish I could make a book out of your blog, you so often say what I am feeling so beautifully and poetically.

    I wish I could ease your pain, but all I can do is say you are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish that too, Delekatala. It would be a perfect book. I also wish I could ease Catherine's (and all the others here's) pain.

      Delete
  15. I've been gone for a few days, but I've been thinking of you and your beautiful girls. xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't think we'll quite ever have anything new to say, Catherine-how could we? It can't change. I wish it could, but it can't. That's the worst part about it. It's forever.
    Sending my love to you, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, Catherine... how this post rips my heart out and unleash the tears, not just for you, but for myself too, for your beautiful words touched every tender spot so delicately.
    I can relate, even if all you wrote are only yours to experience.
    Sending much love, sweet mama. xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, Catherine. I miss Georgina with you. She was real and is loved and missed forever. xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. I, too, think of those days, those precious, tortured days. I, too, feel my foggy memory slipping. Love to you.

    ReplyDelete