Wednesday 25 August 2010

Two

It doesn't seem possible that two years ago I was trying to sleep in the same double bed that still stands in this room this evening. That I was curled up on the floor not a few feet away from where I'm typing this. Just hoping that whatever was going awry with my pregnancy would simply stop and go away.

It seems wrong that I still have the bed, the carpet, the house, the computer desk that I sit typing this at, the same books on the shelves. That all these things are still here. Exactly as they were two years ago.
That I can still touch them.
Sometimes I hate them for that. If you can hate a bed, a desk, some books, a shelf. Like they care.
Sometimes I would like to smash them all down for their sheer, implacable continuity.
For their bare faced cheek of continuing to exist when Georgina is dead.
When anyone's child is dead.

Two years ago, Georgina was alive.
Inside this room.
Inside me.

I wish that I could go back.
Not to be that person again.
But to go back as some sort of ghost of childbirth past and advise the old me.
Tell myself to give up and go to the hospital.
That this wasn't going to end here.
That this wasn't going to end as I wanted it to.
That this wasn't, in many ways, going to end well.

That if I thought this was painful, I had another thing coming.
That this puny physical pain wasn't even the half of it.
This was going to get much, much worse before it started getting better.

Part of me wants to go back and put my arms around that stranger of two years ago's shoulders.
Hug her tight.
Hold her hand.
Because what she is about to go through is not going to be easy.
Not how she imagined it.
She doesn't even know what the acronym NICU stands for.
She doesn't yet know the meaning of PDA, CLD, NEC. ROP. But she will.
She is still counting the days until the magical point of viability at 24 weeks gestation.
Her pregnancy isn't going to get that far but one of her babies will die on that awaited date.
That she won't be bringing home the twin daughters that she had led everyone to expect.
That she expected.

I think she could use a friend this evening, 25th of August 2008.

A friend that would tell that one of her children is going to die. Soon.
That time is short.
That one of her children is going to survive this.
Despite a number of moments when that does not seem probable.

That her daughter will grow up to be the child that she already fancies she knows.
That the occasional jabs and hiccups are signals.
That the slight bones and defiant mewling cry that she will hear in just a few hours time are indicators.
That she knew her children before they were born.

The one who dies.
The one who lives.

Similar in their tenacity.
Similar faces.
Yet distinct.

Jessica.
My sweet child.
I am sorry.
That you had to enter this world so unprepared, so unready.
That you had a twin sister who died.
I'm sorry that you were promised a friend and companion.
A sister. Georgina. Only to have her taken away.
I have so many regrets about the beginning of your life.

But I can't regret you.
Or your sister.

When Jessica was still very, very small my sister picked out this song for her.
My sister spent a lot of time with Jessica during the first three days of her life. Just watching her.
As my husband and I hovered on the opposite side of the room as Georgina slowly died.

Although, oddly, I don't think I have met many people as alive as my daughters in those early days. Perhaps because I could see the effort that living cost them, how strenuous and risky the process of living actually is.
To breathe, to digest food, to filter out toxins.
Something that is hidden away in humans in good health.
Work.
So blatantly alive in the face of it all.
Defiantly.
Rebelliously.
My daughters.

The song . . .

The song is called Bright as Yellow.

And you live life with your arms reached out
Eye to eye when speaking
Enter rooms with great joy shouts,
Happy to be meeting.
And bright.
Bright,
bright as yellow
warm as yellow.
And I do not wish to be a rose,
I do not wish to be pale pink
But flowers scarlet, flowers gold
And have no thorns to distance me.

My little girl. My Jessica. Bright as yellow. Scarlet. Gold. Truly.
I love you.

29 comments:

  1. I know what you mean here, Catherine. There are many times when I wish I could go back in time and give myself a thorough talking too.

    There are more times when I want to go forward and see how this all works out. To see what becomes 'normal'.

    Lots of love coming your way...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your montage just played it is lovely and very moving. Jessica is a beautiful little girl. Missing Georgina with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful pictures. So tiny and fragile. Truly, life is fragile.

    Thanks for sharing the pics and the song.

    It's sad to think back to how naive I was *before*

    ReplyDelete
  4. xxxxx

    Oh this is so huge and so hard. I think I know what you mean about continuity - how do these things continue their banal existence when your child cannot? I found it so hard to touch the kitchen bench at my dad's house, that I had leaned up against the morning of our accident, while Z was still alive and hiccoughing.

    Jessica is so so bright yellow. Sending lots of love on this double-edged day. xxxh

    ReplyDelete
  5. So tiny. So amazing. So entirely adorable. And those eyes! What beautiful eyes! She has such a story already to her life, doesn't she?

    I wish I could be a ghost too. Only the me back then knew, even when there was still a smidgen of hope left, that ultimately George was going to die so I wouldn't need to warn her about that. I would warn her that a huge part of her would die with him. Of that she had no clue.

    I hope these upcoming days are gentle on you. Or as gentle as they can be.

    -brianna

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't heard this song in years, but it will remind me of Jessica now. Thank you for sharing your montage of your sweet girl

    You can't go back in time to the two-years ago you, but be the ghost of now and be kind to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i always love your slide shows for the girls' birthdays. jessica is such an amazing little girl, as was her sister. happy birthday, jessica and georgina.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too wish I could go back and warn myself of what was to come. Even more though, I wish I could go back and prevent it from happening. I completely understand what you are saying.

    Happy 2nd birthday beautiful girls!

    ReplyDelete
  9. She's beautiful... They both are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wrapping you in so much love.

    I know how you feel about the room and the stuff. Sometimes when I cry that Freddie never came home, I remember that when he was here inside me, he was part of us and well, and comfy and as alive as he was ever to be.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday to Jessica and Georgina! I loved the slideshow and I can't believe how grown up your Jessica is getting. Just beautiful.

    Sending love and strength for the next couple of days. These milestones are so tough and the world (even the furniture) can be so unsympathetic.

    Best.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy 2nd birthday, baby girls. August 2008. What a huge month it was.
    Such a moving post that rang so true for me. Love the song, love the montage.
    Sending love on this bittersweet day and holding you close for the next three days as you remember Georgina's short but powerful life.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. She's so gorgeous. Ava will be delighted that there is a new Baby Jessica video to watch repeatedly for next 12 months.

    Happy Birthday Jessica. Happy Birthday Georgina.

    Love to you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. she's gorgeous.

    two years. such a long time. such a short time.

    thinking of you all xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wish I could go back too, that idea is so beautiful, I'd go back and hold myself up.

    Jessica is a beautiful girl, the slideshow is just lovely. Wishing her a Happy birthday and thinking of Georgina, missing her with you. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I got about a half way through this post before I was crying so hard the words blurred. Crying for the women we were before and the babies who were so alive it's almost inconceivable that they are not alive now.

    That's a beautiful song and perfect for your montage.

    Happy birthday Georgina and Jessica.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear one...

    thinking of you. Of all of you.

    My boys...they so wanted their little brothers. That they were lost is something we live with...every day. I'm sorry your little one lost her best friend...her twin. I'm sorry...I know it hurts you deeply to know how much she lost...to have to tell her that someday. It hurts just to think of it.

    Love to you...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing Jessica's montage. She's a true miracle...

    Happy Birthday to Jessica and Georgina!

    Thinking of you...xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. *huge hugs* Thinking of you, Jessica and Georgina.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, Catherine. Every night when I lay down these days, I remember snuggling in the bed with my sweet Hudson for the first 8 weeks of her life. And then I remember the last night she spent in the bed with us 17 months later, prickly hot with fever. I so understand what you mean about wishing you could go back-- I think back to the last few weeks before Hudson died, and I wonder how we didn't know what was going to happen. Of course, we couldn't possibly have known, but I play those images in my head thinking I wish we had, so that we could have savored those moments more and prepared ourselves for the terrible moments ahead.

    Even though we can't go back and comfort our then-selves, we can, as someone else suggested, be gentle and kind with ourselves now. And we can be gentle and kind with each other-- while I wish none of us were without our babies, I am glad that in our without-ness, we at least have each other. Thinking of you, and Jessica, and Georgina, today.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thinking of you and both your amazing girls. xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. she's so beautiful, catherine. thank you for sharing her with us. happy birthday to jessica. and georgina too.

    and yes, so hard to think of ourselves before this happened, the selves we were as it was happening. before we knew what we know now.

    thinking of your family today. xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. your montage and your family are lovely!
    thanks for sharing.
    happy birthday to your little girls. (())

    ReplyDelete
  24. I wish I could go back in time and give you a hug, too. Your Jessica is so beautiful and bright. Wishing you love and kindness and comfort, and thinking of you and your beautiful girls.

    ReplyDelete
  25. oh, Catherine. I am so sorry I am late to this. But that did not stop my tears or my heart from breaking open... for you, for your words, your heart, your Jessica, your Georgina. I wish she is here, and I wish I was there to give you a big hug and hold your hand. Much love, mama. xo

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ooops. That last "Emma's Daddy" post was actually me. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I suspected it was Firefly! xo

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a beautiful tribute, my love!

    Sorry I have been so absent for so long. Thank goodness for FB.

    Lots of love to you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  29. So sorry I am late to this. What a beautiful montage for Jessica. What a gorgeous little girl she is, and your face Catherine, when you are holding her, you glow with your love of her. It's beautiful.
    Happy birthday (belated, sorry) to your two beautiful little girls.

    xx

    ReplyDelete