Wednesday 17 March 2010

Evening

Driving home through the early evening gloom this evening.

The grey light catches on two tall, skinny girls loping up the pavement.
Two heads of long, fair hair.
Bags slung with casual grace on slender hips.
All elbows and knees and friendship bands and lip gloss.
Head gently bent together, bodies turned slightly inwards.
Their trainers hit the pavement synchronously.
They move on, unaware, engrossed in each other.
Unaware of the woman driving past
In a car not a few metres from them.
A woman whose gaze is caught on them,
whose heart snags on the sight of them.
Who suddenly finds it hard to draw in air, to catch a breath.

The sight of those two heads leaning so conspiratorially together.
The casual intimacy of  those two inclined bodies, that leaning towards.
The secrets, the memories that I imagine thicken the air between them.
Those two girls, probably not even sisters, maybe not even friends.
Those two girls who seemed so close, who appeared so familiar.
Walking home in the early evening of a cold, grey March day.

They'll never be my girls.
My daughters will never walk together.

Who knows, perhaps they would never have walked that way together anyhow.
Perhaps they would have been distant, have fallen out with each other, have been on a 'no speaks' since the age of three, been embarrassed by each other.

Perhaps it is because my own sister has been visiting, making me sentimental about sisters.
Perhaps because Jessica has been ill and sits in lonely state on the sofa, watching cartoons with glazed red eyes, wrapped in a Waybu.loo blanket with her arm around her teddy bear.
I still see a shadow next to her, her equal in misery.
I still hear two coughs where, in reality, there is only one.

But I like to think of Jessica and Georgina as those two leaning girls.

But I'll never know.
They'll never know.
Never.

Never.

It is a very long time.
Longer than I realised.
An expanse that unfolds and unfolds continually.
Without her.

19 comments:

  1. Many hugs to you Catherine. These realizations usually catch me off guard too. Thinking of you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont't think I really had any concept of just how long forever really was. It is all too sad.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so right - it's a long, long time. Thinking of you and your girls and wishing you could all walk together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see things all the time and think this way. It is hard not to. I hope Jessica gets feeling better soon! Thinking of you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the same things too and the most random moments. I often wonder how Colby will feel about Connor's absence in the future... will he even notice? Will it matter? Will he feel a hole? Alone? Incomplete? Unfortunately these are things that we will never know... Thinking of you always. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am caught by the leaning girls and reminded of your own leaning that you wrote about last.

    And I think of my own sisters and how close we are and am struck with a different sense of loss.

    Thinking of you and the leaning girls and your girl with you and the one missing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hugs to you - forever is such a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Catherine, how that last paragraph resonates.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, sigh...I have these same thoughts way too often. So sorry Jessica's feeling puny. Millie's been sick all week too. It doesn't happen often but, whenever she's unwell I feel uneasy/shaken/maudlin.

    Hope Jessica's on the mend soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sigh... forever is a damn long time. I hope that Jessica will feel better pretty soon. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. My family went to listen to bagpipes last night and a woman nearby asked me with a twinkle in her eye how old my twins were. I caught my breath and said..."What?" She pointed at Sammy and Stephen, who are two years apart..."Your twins...How old are they?"

    I shook my head and looked down...."no...they aren't twins...they are brothers though. 2 years apart."

    She looked surprised. "You just struck me as the mother of twins." She tipped her green beer at me in a salute..and walked away.

    I AM the mother of twins. But they are gone.

    And like you, I am caught in "an expanse that unfolds and unfolds continually."

    Without them.

    The life that was our right...
    stolen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw a family with five children, 2 girls and 3 boys, the other night, and my breath caught...

    Sending love...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your description of the girls has the picture of them imprinted in my mind...and I know I'll never see my girls like that either...
    Hugs to you, Catherine. Thinking of you and all our girls. I hope Jessica is feeling better soon. Im sure it's hard on you when she's not feeling well, after all she has already gone through.

    ReplyDelete
  14. a friend recently sent me an email to a "mothers of twins" clothing giveaway in our area. her email said "you don't have to have twins to participate, anyone can do it." she's not a close friend, but she knows. it HURT reading that email. it hit me right then. i AM a mother of twins! but not "really." not in the "having to buy two of everything so i need to do a clothing swap" kind of way.

    sorry jessica is sick too. :( the ham had a virus called fifth's disease. a high fever and a rash and red-apple cheeks. she seems better but it is awful seeing her so droopy and not feeling well, and she doesn't understand why.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I regret not being able to give my daughter the little sister I promised. It's hard to be reminded so unexpectedly that we lost so much more than just a tiny baby, but a toddler, an pre-teen, a mommy herself someday.

    But I also think about the loss of my own innocence when reading about those two girls. I was one of those girls once, huddled close to my best friend of the moment. Not a care in the world. Nothing else mattered. Having no idea of the pain I would have to endure just because that's life. I remember when life was nothing but excitement and new experiences. It's a hard road back to that feeling. Is it even possible at this point?

    ReplyDelete
  16. forever and never two eternal words

    big hug to you, my dearest friend

    xxxx Ines

    ReplyDelete
  17. I too see a couple of girls and have to look to see if they are twins. Like you said, they may not even be sisters, maybe not even friends, but anytime I see 2 girls together my heart starts to beat a little faster as I search for their likeness within one another. Thinking of you and your girls. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can imagine how hard it is to see two girls together. *huge hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  19. just beautiful. my heart aches every single time i read your posts. forever is such a long time, and we've only just begun. and the never knowing part... i eats me up and i spend so much time drifting off into fantasies about what could have been...
    xo

    ReplyDelete