Tuesday 30 March 2010

Peekaboo

A game for amusing a small child, in which one covers one's face or hides and then returns to view saying "Peekaboo!"

I watched that stupid fly on the wall documentary about a maternity unit last week. The one that I had been planning to avoid. I had just settled Jessica to her night-time bottle and the television remote was on the other side of the room. When the announcer piped up with the title of the next programme, I was just about to get up and switch the channel when he mentioned it would be about 'special care' babies. So I thought I would watch it. Because I really like to poke my own healing wounds with a nice, sharp, pointed stick. I'm just that kind of person.


The documentary followed the journeys of two babies. One of whom was a surviving twin, one of two girls born extremely prematurely. I made it through the first ten minutes then I had to switch it off. The sight and sound of all those familiar machines, the tiny limbs, the alarms beeping, was making it hard to breathe. 


But I simply had to find out what happened. If those babies made it out of the NICU. I suppose the people who make this programme are bargaining on that. So I watched it on-line the following afternoon when I was supposed to be working from home. Very bad I know and not at all like the conscientious employee that I generally am. Honest. Cross my heart and hope to die.


Strange, seeing your own most horrific experiences laid bare for anyone to view. Those parts of you that are bruised, those bones that will never set straight, broadcast into other people's front rooms, to watch on their television, for . . . hmm, I'm not sure. Is it for entertainment that we choose to watch television programmes like this? Or to understand? I'm not sure.It made me feel slightly revolted over all those documentaries I've watched in the past, that I might have cried over but then I simply . . switched off.

But I can't switch this one off. Because this one happened to me. Sadly. It plays across my internal mental screens every single day. My very own phantasmagoria of hospital and tubes and wires and very small human beings. I'm still here, sitting in that spot. The same place I was sitting as her heart stopped beating. I'm still here, taking out these same old memories and holding them up to the light. Turning them this way and that, trying to make sense of them, trying to understand.

What was once an understandable grief is turning and twisting into something knottier, older, more familiar, something which settles in, rearranges the bedclothes over itself and call my brain its home. A worry doll. Something to run my mind over and over until I am sick of it.

I hate myself more lately. The feeling that it was all somehow my fault has come back to sit on my shoulder and whisper in my ears again. Like Sinbad and The Old Man of the Sea. Stupid bag of meat, he says, you would have let them both die. No wonder, look at you.

Other people have long forgotten that anything out of the ordinary happened but I'm still holding it close to my heart, letting it permeate my brain. Still expecting it to be mentioned one day. But it isn't. I would bet that nobody else even thinks about it at all. Except me. And I can't seem to think of anything else. Perhaps I'm overcompensating? Trying to set a lop sided world to rights. Where nobody speaks of unspeakable things. Perhaps that's why I feel I need to think about them all day long to set the world back in balance.

I can hide behind my job, a computer, a book, lose myself in the soft mutterings of the radio, drown out my internal wailing with the tunes on my iPod.
I can hide in my house.
The weather outside is bad. It's cold. It's raining. There is no need to go outside. Not really.
I can sit here in the warm and maintain a virtual farm if I so desire.
I can hide behind Jessica. I've been hiding behind her since the day she was born.
Because if I just stare at her hard enough, my eyes won't drift to the side.
Because if I can make myself grateful enough, it won't hurt.

Those things that were me, rise up and evaporate away.
I can't even remember what they were now.

I am not sure how to step around these memories. To stop hiding.
My life needs to go on.
Jessica's life needs to go on.
My husband's life needs to go on.
Our lives will go on.
Whether I'm ready for that to happen or not.
Georgina's life stopped. It's been stopped for a while now.
Short but complete.
Spooled out in its entirety.
There is no more.
Spent.
Gone.
Over.
A lifetime of wailing and gnashing my teeth won't buy her back a single second.
She doesn't need me to hide her or to hide away because of her.

Maybe it's time to stop hiding. To return to view.

15 comments:

  1. I just wanted to say I am thinking about you!! I sometimes come across those shows. Often I have to turn them off and other times I watch and just cry. I think how they are telling a version of my story, my sadness, and my heartache. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe we can hide together? I'd like that.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of thinking of our children's lives being complete. I am so often lamenting what Magnus didn't get to do, see or be, but it is good to think of his life and self being whole and enough, even though he wasn't alive long enough for me.
    Thanks for your thoughts.
    R

    ReplyDelete
  4. Catherine, I watched that programme, and my thoughts were with you throughout.x

    ReplyDelete
  5. My children are always on my mind too. What happened is always on my mind. I often worry whether it was something I did or didn't do that caused my children to die. Every day. Every morning. Every evening as I lie in bed trying to go to sleep, those awful events play over and over in my mind. Those events from nearly four years ago with Freyja. Those events from 2 years ago with Kees and those events from 7 months ago with Jet. They've shaped who I am now. They've changed me. I can't hide from them. They're always there. The most I can hope for is that they find a place in my heart and mind. A place that isn't the front. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think most people like to poke their own wounds like that. How else can we tell how they are healing?

    It wasn't your fault. But knowing that doesn't help, does it?

    I'm thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Catherine,

    I relate. I still, even after T.'s birth, just want to hide here. Safe in the house where I don't have to pretend to be "normal" mum. I can't seem to forgive myself for killing her - it's not rational is it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could tell you that it wasn't your fault but I know from experience that it won't change how you feel. We will always wonder whether we did something to cause our babies to die or if we had only noticed something sooner would they be here with us now.

    Sending love...

    PS - I'm still hiding too, more so these days than I have in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As you know, I didn't watch that series because... well, you know...

    I truly believe that this will always be our struggle, as parents grieving a child. To find a way to reconcile our lopsided vision of the world with the neatly ordered version that others seem to experience.

    Now this is going to sound very flippant, and I don't mean it to. The other week, I was at a party (resplendent in my cake hat) and I listened to someone detail for 45 minutes about how their travels in India had changed them and the way they think about the world, with everyone nodding along and agreeing how meaningful it must have been for them. I'm not sure why THEY are allowed to credit an extended holiday as a life event, to be analysed and brought up at every opportunity, but we're supposed to keep quiet about the massive impact the death of our babies has had.

    If it's right for you, my lovely friend, to return to view a little, then that's a great thing, and an enormous step. But it's still OK if you're not OK. The pressure to move on is intense, but the truth is that your life IS going on. Life does, darn it. Whether you are still in gnashing-teeth mode or not.

    So much love to you, Catherine. I think about you every single day. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Catherine... I'm not sure that guilt will ever leave us. I think it will always be there, trying to beat us into submission. Always...

    I torture myself with those programs too. I know I shouldnt but I just cant not watch. And that makes me even more angry at myself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Catherine, there is so much insight and self-knowledge in this post, so much wisdom. I know that is cold comfort, but I wanted to convey my respect and admiration for what you've put down here. And for you.

    I hope that the weight of all those here telling you that you were not and could never be at fault, that you do not deserve and did not cause anything that happened will counterbalance the self-hatred that you expressed (even as I'm sure many of us --myself included-- can relate to it).

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel like I am in a similar place, hating myself, hiding out(I actually thought that exact word as I stayed indoors on a beautiful day, using my son's eye drop sensitiveity as the excuse in my mind). I'm also feeling, should I be moving on? Pining and sulking and hurting isn't bringing them back. And I wonder, by doing so, am I hirting my son and DH? (not that you are, pining, or hurting anyone.)
    More questions, still with no answers. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too think that I am the only one (IRL) who thinks of my girls or thinks about what has happened. Then occassionally, someone will surprise me with something they say and I know others think of them too. I do however, wish their lives/deaths were something that others are more comfortable talking about...I hate to make other people feel uncomfortable, so sometimes I don't say too much either. I just wish it was all different for us all. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Tina. I know that you are right. It sometimes feels as though I am the only one who thinks about it all still. I suppose I just find the silence that fell around Georgina and Jessica's birth and illness a bit eerie? Does that make sense? And I wrote this post when I was in a bit of a grump about everything xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it's really just time and practice that help you get your feet back under you and strike a sustainable balance of remembering and forgetting--knowing when you need to hide and when you're ok.

    I still can't watch NICU-centric TV programs though--or really anything that isn't brainless, silly fun.

    ReplyDelete