Thursday 4 March 2010

How I Live Now

On Wednesday morning I decided to take Jessica to a 'Messy Makers' class at the local children's centre. I was happily puttering about, putting things in her bag to take with us, a little carton of drink, an extra cardigan and so on, when I double checked the class timetable and realised that I had misread the starting time. The class began at ten o'clock, not at half past as I thought.

Cue panic, immediate cessation of slow puttering about, quick thrusting of everything I had gathered up into the car and unceremonious shoving of  Jessica into her seat. I drove quick smart over to the centre, unloaded the car, staggered up the hill to the centre carrying Jessica and the bag and arrived some twenty minutes late rather out of breath and flustered.

I don't know if it was because we were late and everyone already in the class turned round to look at us, or because I was annoyed with myself for being late, but Jessica went very shy. She brought her shoulder up to her ear and stared stolidly into space for the entire class. Which is unlike her. Nothing tempted her, not the singing, not waving scarves around, not bouncing the toys up and down on the parachute, not the other children. Shoulder and ear remained firmly wedged together.

She only relaxed when the 'messy' part of the class started. The children had trays of compost to pretend to plant seeds and plastic flowers in. Then she dived in and put up quite a fight against a much bigger boy for sole occupancy of one of the trays of dirt.

But by then the damage was done and I had worked myself into an internal frenzy thinking, 'Why did I bring this poor child here who is obviously hating every minute of this? Is she shy because I'm shy? Is she somehow picking up on the effort it costs me to talk to the other parents and to pretend that there is no dead sibling, no memories of death and disaster? Perhaps I haven't been ensuring that Jessica plays with other children enough? Perhaps I am a rubbish parent? Perhaps it would all be different if Georgina hadn't died?'

Whilst the usual internal rant was rumbling on in the background and I was exchanging the usual pleasantries with the other parents of how old?  name? do you come here often? I noticed a young girl hovering on the outskirts of the group. She was wearing one of the centre's badges and, eventually, she came over to speak to me and Jessica. She was a work experience student, she loved children, she wanted to work with them when she 'grew up.' We were having a perfectly pleasant and civilised conversation.

Then she asked me if Jessica was an only child. And I just couldn't say yes. I don't know why. I usually say 'yes', she is an only child, my first child. Even though it breaks my heart a little to say that. But I didn't give my usual answer.

Perhaps because part of me wanted to hurt this young girl, to shock her. Perhaps there is some horrible part of me that I would rather not confront that just wanted to give all this hurt I carry around with me to someone else to hold for a minute.

So I said 'No, she had an older sister but she passed away.'

This poor young woman. Her eyes widened. Her face took on a look of panic, worse than mine was when I realised I was going to be late. She got up from the sofa and just walked away from me.

As we leaving the centre, a little later, I managed to track her down. I could tell that she wasn't happy about the fact that I was bearing down on her again, the panic on her face was obvious. She was obviously thinking 'oh gawd, the woman with the dead child, oh gawd, please, please, please don't let her speak to me again. please just make her go away.' But I didn't go away. I told her I was sorry, that I hadn't meant to wrong foot her earlier, that I usually didn't mention that I had another daughter who died, that these things do happen, children do die and it is terribly sad. She told me that's okay.
I wanted to reply that it isn't, not for me. It actually isn't okay.

I walked out of the centre and pressed my face against Jessica's hair, the sweet curve of her fuzzy little head. My tears ran into her hair.

And I want to say to Jessica what I have said a thousand times before.

I am sorry that I still haven't figured out a more graceful way to handle this, that I ended up apologising for talking about your sister, that I still don't know how to respond to that question about whether you have brothers or sisters.

I am sorry that I didn't see you until hours after your birth, that I wasn't with you for those first few hours. I am sorry that I wasn't by your side until you were three days old. All I can really remember from that time is your sister. The doctors kept telling me that she was struggling and I didn't want her to die without me.

I am sorry that I did not ask to bring Georgina over to your incubator to say goodbye, I regret that so very much. Absolutely horribly.

I am sorry that my body let you down so terribly, that I couldn't breathe for you, digest for you, maintain your blood pressure for you, stop the bleed on your brain, stop the infections that plagued you, stop the steroids making you so uncomfortable, stop the endless scratching of needles, the endless pokes and prods. That I never wanted to believe that this would happen to me and so went into that NICU very, very uninformed.  I am so very, very sorry that I could do nothing to help you. That all I could do was watch you.

I am sorry that your sister died. I wish she hadn't. I hope that you aren't too haunted or upset by your sister's death. I'm afraid that I can't protect you from it. I can't fix it, I can't bring her back for you. It seems like such horrible, horrible damage to be done to you at the very start of your life.

Perhaps you'll grow up thinking that everyone has a dead sister, in that strange way that children have of generalising their own specifics to the population at large. My own sister and I were agog when we realised that some people actually had cousins who lived in the SAME town. How could this possibly be? Because we thought that everyone was exactly the same as us. Perhaps it will just be normal to you?

Perhaps you'll grow up thinking that every mum is frightened of people asking questions about her children, that every mum cries when they look at their children sometimes, that every mummy's gaze sometimes drifts ever so slightly away to another face, a face that nobody else sees.  I'm sorry I'm not the mummy that I wish I was, that sometimes my rumbling monologue dries up and you look at me perturbed, as if to say why have you stopped talking, why aren't you really looking at me?

Perhaps you'll grow up thinking that many babies die, that many babies are born sick. I know that your cousin, E, is very confused about this. She asked me if, when she has her babies, they will be born with pipes, will they need oxygen when they are sick, will they have to stay in the hospital, will they die there. I wish that I could say "not yours my darling, never yours". But I can't.

My love for you is such a useless, valiant old thing.
It thuds and it thuds and it thuds away in my heart to little purpose. Other than to love you.
It couldn't help you then, it can't help you now, it can't help you in the future.
But it beats for you my little girl, my daughter.

I feel so sad and so angry that this is the mother that you get.

Not the mother of a couple of years ago, so sure and certain, so confident in herself.

You get the mother that lives how I live now.
The mother that cries into your hair.

19 comments:

  1. Catherine,
    Both your daughters are LUCKY to have you as their mom. You're doing a wonderful job honoring Georgina and raising Jessica.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catherine, I am in a puddle of tears as I read this. My heart breaks for you and I wish I had answers.

    It breaks my heart all over again when someone asks me if I have children. I try so hard to fight the tears when I hear those words, but they come rushing to the surface. I often wonder if I will ever get used to that question and if the answer will always be the same or if it will change over time. Will it get comfortable to ever say?

    You sound like a wonderful mom to me. You are incredible to both your daughters. I have no doubt that Jessica will grow up and see how loved her and her sister are and what a great mom they have.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so hard to let go of the guilt we carry around with us. I can tell you that you are a wonderful mother and that you did everything you could for your sweet babies (and you are and you did) but that will not make the guilt go away. I think your daughters are lucky to have you as their mother. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Catherine, Jessica and Georgina are so LUCKY to have you for a mother. An intelligent, loving, selfless mother who would do anything for them. And if they were able to find the words, they would tell you they would not rather any other in the world but you.
    I cried into my son's hair today. His school has been having "big brother and sister celebrations" for kids who have new additions to their families. All he talks about is families, and brothers and sisters, even turnign hi sanimals and little toys into families. I wish his baby sisters were here for him. It's heartbreaking. We try to be strong for them, but I think they'd be happy to know they can comfort us at times. Your daughters love you, no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely heartbreaking. I am so sorry that you sometimes, somehow feel like you are wronging Jessica or Gerogina. You are doing your best the way that you best know how- unfortunately you're on a journey that doesn't have a map or directions. But I know it's so hard. I won't tell you not to beat yourself up or to regret things that have happened because I know that's impossible. Instead I'll say that despite your uncertainty of what to do and how to handle things, I'm sure that BOTH your little girls know how desperately you love them. And though it's not enough to ease the pain completely, maybe it's enough to make it hurt a little less...

    I just have to say that your words and your story touch me on a daily basis. I feel as if you're me in the future... I'm learning from you. Georgina and Jessica are both so very lucky to have you for a mom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Catherine. Oh sweet friend. I don't know what else to say except I know. I know. This really hit home with me. It all rings so true. I am sorry to Angus as well. Sorry a million times over.
    Just love for you today, and lots of it.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Catherine, I too still don't know what to say to people when they ask me how many kids do you have. Just the other day I said to my new hairdresser, "One, a son, and he is two." I felt bad and later added that I had a daughter but she died on the same day she was born. It is hard to know who to tell, sometimes it is just easier not to get into all the details. But don't feel bad about telling people about Georgina, I'm sure you don't do it to hurt others, it is to honour your baby girl.

    Each person will have their own reaction, the young girl you were talking to just didn't know what to say. Just tell them, it's okay, you don't need to say anything, and yes, it's absolutely terrible. Others will tell you that they went through the same type of loss, and in these people you may find some healing.

    Jessica knows how much you love her. Your heart is overflowing with love and as she grows, she will see and feel that love as you bandage a scraped knee, console her when she is upset, take her on trips, share in her laughter. You will and do mean everything in the world to her.

    It is such a blessing that you brought her into this world, and although the beginning was really tough, she is blessed to be healthy, happy, and to have such a wonderful mother as you.

    Sending you love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, sweetie - she's gets the mother that loves her so very, very much. She probably will grow up thinking this is normal, but because of that, it won't hurt her. She will know she had a sister that died, but she won't be so afraid of death. It is the unknown that people are scared of. Because she will grow up with the empty space and your grief, she will have the tools to handle life's little disappointments (and big ones).

    Please don't be so hard on yourself. We all have things we deeply regret. But in the midst of our world crashing down, we did NOT have the ability to look into the future and see what we would wish we had done. We all did the best we could with what we had. Our children know we loved them. I think that is all that matters.

    I hope I'm not lecturing too much, I say these things to remind myself too. My blog is full of how I'm a horrible mother. As far as mentioning our dead babies - there is no easy answer, but I for one will do whatever I feel like at the time. It's not my problem if the person asking can't handle the answer. Maybe the real answer will teach them some tact and compassion.

    I hope you have an easier time with activities like that in the future, that sounds like it was a tough day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Catherine, this shitty club we all belong to is so bloody hard. I get so tired of bracing myself for the world and it's questions, and sometimes I wonder if I'm telling someone about Florence just to pick at the wound, and to frighten the person trying to make small talk.
    As for being a good mother, we all worry about that, without exception, all of us. You are a good mother to both Georgina and Jessica. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. My eyes fill with tears as I read your tormented words. The pain, the regret, the sorrow, it all just oozes through the screen.

    The question, that damn question, is so hard. When people ask if I have children I can not say "no". I just can't. But then that leaves me with the "D" word and shocking the innocent questioner. And so I shock. Those questions are a knife to the heart, but so few people understand that.

    ((((((hugs)))))) to you as you wrestle with your guilt and regrets. Our internal demons are so harsh. Remember always that BOTH your girls know how much you love them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are an amazing Mother and don't ever think otherwise. Anyone who goes through what you has and manages to carry one is amazing (I count my own parents that group). You didn't let either of your girls down you are just trying to make some sense out of what happened. My Mum didn't see my brother go out to school the day he died as she'd been up in the night with me so my Dad told her to stay in and now 30 years on there is still a part of her that thinks if she'd seen him maybe she would have noticed something was wrong (she couldn't have, it was an unknown heart condition). It's the downside of being a Mum you think you can fix everthing but sometimes you can't and nothing you did or didn't do could have changed what happened.

    I always say I have two older brothers, ok, one is no longer with us and my memories of him are few but he will always still be my brother. Just as you will always be Mum to two beautiful girls and and you should never have to say otherwise.

    Sorry for the ramble.

    Hugs

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  12. Catherine, I've struggled with this question so painfully...

    "Oh you had a baby?" "Yes", I answer...hoping that will be the end of it, thinking I want to say "Yes, I had TWO babies. Twins..."

    "A boy or a girl?", they inevitably ask. "A girl" I say, trying to end this, let's move on, next topic... when I want to say, "One of each. Doesn't that sound perfect?"

    "Is she your first?" they wonder. "Yep!", I exclaim, trying to chase my blues away with my upbeat act, to ignore the punch I feel in my stomach. Inside my head, I say, "She had an older brother...one minute older...he was beautiful and perfect and lovely and sweet and I miss him so very, very much."

    A few times I have told people - when I needed to share a bit of my pain, or when I felt too disrespectful to my little baby boy by not mentioning him... But...it doesn't really help me, maybe it helps assuage a little of my guilt at NOT acknowledging him more...but my baby boy is still gone...Gracie's big brother Lucas will never hold her hand...my life will never be the same...and then I have to listen to an awkward apology, and really...nobody wants to hear it...right?

    Oh Catherine, you are a great mother to your two little sweet girls. Jessica will have a loving, empathetic, understanding mummy who GETS that life isn't all huge roses, but that in the midst of the sadness and problems that arise, great and happy things happen... Hearts and hugs to you...

    BTW, your name in the sand of Georgina inspired me to get one of my boy - and I'd been checking Carly's site for when she would be taking requests again. I love it. I absolutely adore it. Thank you. http://namesinthesand.blogspot.com/2010/02/lucas-james-kilarjian.html

    PS I must admit...I don't think about my little boy constantly...I can't - it's just too too too too painful. I do think about him. I do love him so very very much. I think my brain just shuts that bit off sometimes, when it needs some time to rest. Thinking of Lucas - what I thought our family would be. Needing my boy HERE with me NOW growing and smiling and starting to roll over... Not having anything except the hazy morphine memories from the day of his birth and death. It's a slam in the gut; it turns my world upside-down. I'm trying to function; to be back at work; to be a mommy to Gracie; to continue on. And I just hope that he knows that I love him sooooooooooooo very much. A good friend of mine assures me there will come a day where all I will feel when I think of him is full of happiness and love for him and gratefulness for the time we had. I'm waiting for that day... Will we get there? I'm not sure... I really hope so...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Catherine,
    Jessica is so fortunate to have a mother like you: thoughtful, full of love with a soft heart for the complicated things in life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ach Keri. Lucas will always be your first child, just as Georgina will always be mine. But you're right. Nobody really wants to hear it. Not really.

    I'm so glad that Carly wrote Lucas' name in the sand for you. She is such an amazing soul. I treasure Georgina's name, I have it on my desk at work and it is such a beautiful image. All the photographs I have of Georgina don't do her justice but her name is as perfect as she as.

    And I understand that you can't think about Lucas all the time. But I feel certain that, somehow, he knows how beloved he is.

    I hope your friend is right too. I hope we will get there one of these days. Sometimes all I can remember clearly is how very much I loved Georgina. Perhaps that is the start?

    Good to hear from you. Hope that Gracie continues to thrive. Remembering your son, Lucas.
    Much love xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are a wonderful mother, to both of your daughters. And you are doing the best you can with a situation that is difficult to navigate.

    I wish the rest of the world made it easier to talk about our babies.

    Lots of love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jessica has a mother who loves her deeply and from the bottom of her soul. That is the most important thing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. ok... that little student doesn't need to be working with children when she "grows up" (she has a loooooong way to go!) if she WALKS AWAY from a mother who mentions the deceased!? What IS that?! Guess what.. working with children means WORKING WITH PARENTS.. I always feel like I soapbox on your blogs... that stupid nurse, this student, I have been in both of those shoes, as well as your bereaved mother shoes, and I would *NEVER* act that way or say those things. Even as a young girl working with children. I have and had MANNERS and I would have at least said "I'm so sorry to hear that, what was her name? do you mind if I asked what happened?" even as a young teenager not yet familiar with death. It's just common sense. isn't it? maybe it's not.. maybe I have compassion, and that's what makes me good at what I do. and that compassion is what makes YOU a great mother... Jessica will turn out to be kind, loving, sensitive, feeling, just like you. she won't be mad at you. she'll cry with you. and Georgina would have too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I read this last night, holding Bobby, and had to go have a good cry in his hair afterwards. I was just too overcome by emotion to even type a response. How your thoughts are my own. I've had similar encounters, where people walk away or hide their head... It breaks my heart every single time. One day, you'll meet someone and share your story and they will say, with heartfelt words, "that happened to me, too". And it will still hurt but you will make a lifelong friend on the journey. I am waiting for that person too. I've met so many wonderful moms, you among them, and I am so grateful you share Georgina and Jessica both.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodness, I was in tears reading this, Catherine!

    You are a WONDERFUL mother! Never, ever doubt that, my love!

    People will react differently to what we say about our lost babies. Some will be empathetic and understanding, but many will be shocked, mute, and terrified. This doesn't mean that we are not allowed to say what is our truth.

    I picture you as being a VERY gracious lady. Be gentle with yourself. I think you're lovely!

    Sarah xoxo

    ReplyDelete