Wednesday 5 August 2009

Blue

Sorry everyone. Today I was going to write about what makes me happy, as I was tagged by the lovely Tina at Living Without Sophia and Ellie.

But I just feel so sick of myself today. In a grump. Blue.

I feel I should warn anyone reading that this post is

(a) going to be a little bit of a whine and
(b) partly about Jessica.

If you feel that this is likely to upset you, look away now. Please come back another day when I am not quite so very full of self-pity.

Disclaimer over.

Except I've just read a comment on this post and I think I need more of a disclaimer.

Firstly I want to be clear on one point. Whatever happened to Jessica, whilst it was very traumatic for me and has changed me profoundly, did not scratch the surface of my pain and heartache over losing Georgina. I don't want anyone to come away from reading this post with any doubt in their mind about this.

Secondly, if you suspect that you may be going to have a preemie at some point, I'm not going to lie to you. It is one heck of an experience. Those four months were very stressful, dizzying highs and crushing lows. I have tried to write about it on more than one occasion but it just gives me nightmares.
Today I am feeling sad about what Jessica has been through but other days I feel nothing but triumph, elation and happiness. That by some strange twist of fate she survived. I'm still riding that NICU rollercoaster. I don't think I will ever step off it completely. But please don't let this post frighten you into thinking that it is all doom and gloom. I think that NICUs are places of hope, and crushed hope, and every possible shade in between.

Thirdly, I'm beginning to think that I shouldn't have posted this at all. So perhaps it really shouldn't be here.

Second disclaimer over. Phew.

Hopefully that has scared everyone away because I don't think anything from this point onwards is going to be especially edifying, helpful or interesting. But I need to vent a little.

I had to take Jessica back to the hospital on Friday for a check-up.
Whilst I know how lucky and privileged I am to have the chance to go there, part of me hates going back to the hospital.
It reminds of how very far from 'ordinary' her birth and the first few months of her life were. How different from what I would have wished, from what I desperately wanted.

For reasons that I don't really want to go into here, MY own birth was a bit of a disaster for MY mother. I so desperately wanted it to be different for my girls. Just undiluted happiness. No shadow crossing the sun on their birthday. But it wasn't to be.

That poor shiny little body in a plastic incubator. So stuck full of needles and lines that she looked like a sinister tiny voodoo doll at some points. That ventilator jammed into her tiny mouth. My poor darling Jessica. I wish I could have done it for you.

I know that she needed it all. I love all that machinery. Beyond measure. Yet I hate it too.
It was my body's failure made manifest in needles, wires, monitors and alarms.
That scary NICU noise of bleeps and whirs and whooshes, that noise that is still ringing in my ears if I just listen closely enough.

I hate that she is behind developmentally.
I hate that there is a good chance that she will always be behind developmentally.
I hate that her lungs are scarred and that they might always be a problem.

I just want my little girl to have a break.

Losing Georgina has put Jessica's problems into perspective for me.
Sometimes I think that is one of Georgina's gifts to me.
That Georgina puts her little hand on my shoulder and murmurs in my ear, 'Look silly mama, this doesn't matter. She's here with you. She's breathing. None of these little things matter.'

But, I just wish . . .

That her lungs were healthy and that every single cough or cold didn't send me into a downward spiral of worry.

That I didn't have to beat myself up over my failure to protect her from every single germ on the planet. Because I can't. I can't even see them. If I could, maybe I could squash them. Or fight them. Or scare them away. But I'm just so powerless.

That I didn't keep worrying about the fact that she is weaker on one side. That I can't stop my mind developing this into something worse than it is. Perhaps.

That she didn't still have problems co-ordinating her tongue and her jaw.
The doctor said that people might think that she was not too bright if she continues to stick her tongue out and dribble so much.
That made me terribly angry although I know it was meant kindly.
I wanted to say that . .
I really don't care how she looks.
I really don't care what other people might think.
I really don't care if she isn't 'bright'.
To me, she shines brighter than anyone else on this planet.

I wish that I could be a different mother. The mother that I wanted to be before.
The mother who was going to be so brave and bold.
She was going to breastfeed for at least six months.
She was going to carry her baby around everywhere in a sling.
She would want everyone to coo over her baby, she would want to share her daughter's dimples and smiles with the world

Would I have been that mother?
If Georgina hadn't died?
If I had only had one baby?
If the girls hadn't been born so prematurely?
I'll never know.

Instead, I hunch over Jessica like some sort of mad woman.
Brandishing a bottle of anti-bacterial hand gel. Watchful.
For the first sign of an attack, for that dark stranger that might come to take her.
Like he took her sister.
I don't really like anyone else touching her if I'm completely honest.

It isn't fair on her, that she has been lumbered with this neurotic, grieving mess of a mother.
I'm trying my best.
But it feels so very far from good enough.

I feel like I was so suddenly a mother. I wasn't ready.
I want to be better than this.
For Jessica.
For Georgina.
I love them both so very, very much.
Sigh.

15 comments:

  1. Although I don't yet have a preemie (I say "yet" because part of me feels that it is inevitable), this post articulated all of my fears. I dream of being the kind of mother you dreamt you would be. But I picture myself becoming the type of mother you say that you are.

    But I know this - you did your best. You *are* doing your best. And you love that little girl with every ounce of your being. And really, that quite enough.

    ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Firstly, this is YOUR blog. You get to say whatever you like. Oh Catherine, I can't imagine your loss. But I know, as I sit here, hoping my little boy drifts back into sleep after being ill yet again, the heartache you feel about Jessica. Your little girl is so blessed to have a mother who loves her, who tends to her, who is just there. Even if you can't make everything better.
    I wish, wish, wish you lived in the same state, heck even the same country as I did.
    I wish we'd met during the 6 years I lived in the UK.
    Sending you love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I respect your honesty about the NICU. That place is a place of hope and crushed hopes as you said.

    I know that you wish things were different. I wish too... The images we all had before they were ripped away and we were left threadbare... With nothing to cling to... Except a sheer string of hope.

    Jessica and Georgina are always going to be perfect, each in their own way. I was angry reading what the doctor said about the tongue and drool. I cant imagine trying to take someone's lightheartedness when it comes to your baby.

    It hurts to feel so betrayed by your body. To look at it and feel like it failed you so completely. And not just you. But everyone, especially your babies. I see that every day in the mirror and it scares me that I will never be able to get beyond it.

    Sending you hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, what was that doctor thinking? I'm trying to think of a way to say what I think of that that isn't profane and expletive-filled but I can't.

    Second of all, you are an amazing mother. AMAZING. When you describe yourself in the post it seems so clear that you ARE brave and bold - so much braver and bolder than that imaginary sling-wearer would ever have to be. What you've been through, Catherine, it is beyond comprehension for most people.

    Third of all, I am sending you so much love. Sometimes there is nothing more lonely than feeling blue, and I want you to know that I'm right there with you, hon. Let's definitely do the meet-up thing in the autumn xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Catherine...do not worry about the happy post, I did not want to add anymore to your already overflowing plate. You are a wonderful mother to both of your girls. I often feel like I am not as good of a mother as I should be to my living children since I have lost the girls. I continually tell myself that I am doing the best I can, but I just feel like they deserve more. It is so hard and I feel torn. Thinking of you always.
    xx,
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Catherine, you're beautiful. Even though our situations are worlds apart, I get you on so much of this. I too wish I could have known what mother I would have been. Now I will never know. I'm always going to have to parent after loss now. And I know what you mean about the germs, having lost Hope to an infection. I'm just another crazy grieving mother on the other side of the world, with her bottle of antibacterial hand gel at the ready. You're not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my dear. No need to preface with a disclaimer, at least not for me.

    I KNOW you love them both. I can only imagine the fear you feel constantly that that dark figure will take Jessica too. I fear that for my children too. Even before E died, I was a neurotic antibacterial gel toting lunatic. There's so much out there that can hurt our children, thereby hurting us.

    I wish I could make it so that you don't have to struggle with the complications of preemie health along with your grief. I hesitate to throw out what I consider the pithy response, "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" because I often feel what doesn't make me stronger just kills me. But, I do know you are strong. Some days you're stronger than others. Just like the rest of us. It's difficult to see that about ourselves, but we need to try. It's hope. Without that hope, we end up feeling miserable, depressed, and completely isolated.

    Don't ever feel you cannot fully express yourself here. We don't get that opportunity in many places. We're here for you.

    Peace, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you have every right to wish for everything perfect for jessica. just because you lost georgina, doesn't mean you have to be happy simply because jessica is alive. of course you worry about her...you're her mommy, and that's what mommies do. those carefree women trotting around with their babies in slings, those aren't mommies. they're women who had a baby, so they are mothers, but they aren't mommies. the mommies are the ones leaning over the carriage like madwomen, brandishing a bottle of antibacterial hand sanitizer, protecting their babies from germs, strangers, and the world.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Someone said to me recently that she didn't want to be a "helicopter" mother ... you know, the kind who "hovers" over her child/ren. I never wanted to be a mother like that. But if this baby of mine lives????? I suspect I'll be very much a helicopter mother. I've already decided that NO-ONE is to come into the apartment to visit (in case of germs), that we (my husband and I) and any other person who MUST be let in, shall use the anti-bacterial gel (in case of germs) and we will not be going anywhere (in case of germs). ((Hugs)) to you -- you're being the best mum ever.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Catherine I hear you. I am in tears.

    I hated those machines too. Everything about them. Hated them.

    And those feelings with your Jessica. I get those too. I can't stand the thought of anyone looking at my son and thinking that he is anything but an amazing gift.

    You're a wonderful mum Catherine. There is nothing wrong in wishing that your child was 100% healthy, even after the loss of your other one. If anything it makes their pains or difficulties however minor, harder and more painful.

    My son has only to cry and I am heartbroken.

    Thinking of you and your precious girls.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Catherine, Jessica and Georgina's stories are different but they both break my heart. Thinking of you all. xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Catherine, thank you for posting this and being honest in your words. I never went through NICU and can only imagine that rollercoaster.

    Parenting changes so much after loss. It will always be different than "normal" parenting, but that is ok. We'll find our way.

    You are a FANTASTIC mother and while you may not feel like it on some days, you are. AND there are many of us supporting you. You are the perfect mother for Jessica and Georgina.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i had no doubts about the kind of mother i would have been for Leila. i don't know if i'll ever be able to be that mother next time around. i know how horribly wrong things can go. it makes me so sad that we will never have that blissful happiness again. there will always be that invisible child reminding us....

    p.s. did you get my last email reply? i sent it a few days ago but not sure if it went through.
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also mourn the loss of motherhood, the kind of motherhood I expected. I wanted to be a cool, laid-back mom and now even if I manage to have a living child at some point, I don't know that I'll be capable of relaxation. When one of your children is taken away it is only natural to be protective against the danger that the other one will be too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is my first visit to your blog and I am so very sorry for your loss. I lost my twin girls this year, one 3 weeks after the other. So I kind-of knew how you feel for 3 weeks. Having one does not replace the other. The loss you have experienced is huge, and although the precious girl you brought home is the greatest gift, nothing and no-one can replace the little girl you lost. You should not feel bad for everything you want for your little girl. It is normal to worry, look what you've been through! My first born was a preemie, who escaped relatively unscathed with just a few developmental delays, and I was and still am a total "helicopter mom" for which I have no apologies. She is your child, and better to over-protect than not protect enough, I say. Continue to do what feels right for you, and her, and you will never be wrong.

    ReplyDelete