Sunday 23 August 2009

Odds and Ends of NICU Time

I think that when I held Georgina for the first time, my milk came in. I had an overwhelming urge to nurse her. To pull the ventilator out and snuggle her up to me, to feed her. Which was completely insane and ridiculous. My little girl couldn't even breath on her own, let alone feed.
Whilst Georgina was dying, all that stupid milk was enthusiastically plunging down into my breasts. To nourish my two tiny children. There is nothing quite so cruel as Nature sometimes.

But, in my case, nothing quite so kind as Nature either. I was so, so grateful for that milk later on that day. Jessica's doctor asked me if I had tried to pump any milk, he told me that she couldn't take breast milk currently but that they could freeze it and she could have it at a later stage.

I hadn't tried. The nurse looking after Jessica on the night shift took me to a little room next door to the ward where Jessica was and Georgina had been and showed me how to use the breast pump. I don't know how long I sat in there, trying to figure it out. But finally, it came.

It is stupid but I can't describe the dizzying sense of triumph that I felt. I remember stumbling back into the ward with these bottles of milk and this kind, kind young doctor telling me how well I had done. I will always be so grateful to that young man, who somehow knew what to say.

That pump was to be my constant companion for the next six months. In the day, in the night. I loved it, I hated it. I watched so many DVD box sets whilst I pumped, I can't hear the theme tunes without being taken back to those days. The West Wing, Dexter, Desperate Housewives, House, The Sopranos, Blue Planet, anything and everything. A word to the wise, Dexter doesn't do anything for your supply, Desperate Housewives has twins and pregnancy loss, House, just don't go there. I'm not kidding. Don't.

That pump. A reminder of my abject failure and a reminder of the only thing that I felt I could actually do to help. With varying degrees of success, I pumped and I pumped and I pumped. For my little tiny girl who I felt sure would live, for my little tiny girl who I was certain would die. For her sister who would never need any of it at all, not a drop.

I had printed labels from the hospital, with Jessica's name, address, GP, hospital number to stick to the bottles. I grew to know her hospital identification number off by heart, so I could write it on when I ran out of 'official' labels. I used to stare and stare at those labels until I swear I could see Georgina's name on them. I wish I had some of her labels, if only to remember her by, to prove she existed. I wish that I had been pumping milk for her too.

In the middle of the night, I used to look at the sterilizer and the pump sitting in our kitchen. I used to feel so alone. So unnatural. Freakish. A mother without her baby. Getting up for a machine. But now I know there are so many mothers like that. I know how damn lucky I am to have had the chance to get up in the night and pump milk.

Sometimes I think that the grief of losing a child is exacerbated by the expectation of happiness. I thought I was going to be happy.

Perhaps that is where it differs from other losses. When I have lost other relations, old or untimely, there has been a different feel to my grief. I mourned my grandparents but I was prepared. I mourned the death of my godfather, who died suddenly leaving a wife and four children. But, in all of those circumstances, I was not prepared for a time of happiness. I was living my life, on the flat as it were, and then a sudden jolt downward. More or less expected but with no reason to believe I was on the up, that the good times were about to roll.

My GP told me, in a fit of straight talking and trying to pep me up, imagine losing your husband of 50 years, imagine how much worse that would be? I wanted to say (I didn't) you don't understand, you just don't understand. She was my child. My child. I can't imagine how it must feel to lose your husband but I don't believe that some pains can be compared. There is no measure to them, they are 100%. Pain. That is all there is under these circumstances. No degrees, no gradients. A contest that is not contestable.

But losing a baby. I was so full of expectancy, anticipation. So happy. So complete. I felt like my life was coming together at last. I had what I had always wanted.

The gap between what I had thought would happen and what actually transpired was breathtaking, heart-wrenching. Enough to send my mind into a tail-spin. And I don't know the half of it. I don't have the fear of death that I used to have or should have. My own or others. I'm 'prepared.' I just wasn't prepared for the first one, to attend my own child's funeral. Perhaps no other death can hurt me as much. Or perhaps I'm just kidding myself? Who the hell is ever prepared for any of this?

Perhaps I had never experienced grief before? Or love?

I used to question that, before Jessica and Georgina were born. Had I ever truly felt?
I don't anymore.
I know that I can't feel more than this. This is all that this particular human is capable of feeling, however ineptly, however stupidly. I can't do more than this. I can't love them more.

13 comments:

  1. I think you are right. There is no comparison. I love my parents and if they were to die today, I would be so deeply saddened. But I am their child. I expect to bury them one day. This is the measure of life. If Peter died, I would be crushed. Completely. But I have had years of happiness with the understanding that, one day, I may bury him or he me. This is the way of it. But a child... My child... We do not bury our children. It is NOT the way of it. It is wrong. Backwards. Unfair and just not right. We should never watch them die... That heartbreak has no comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... and all your posts and your comments are utterly infused with that rich, rich mother love. And you're right. Our particular experience of motherhood has taken us right to the depths and the heights of human feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Sometimes I think that the grief of losing a child is exacerbated by the expectation of happiness. I thought I was going to be happy."

    Oh my god, yes.

    "But losing a baby. I was so full of expectancy, anticipation. So happy. So complete. I felt like my life was coming together at last. I had what I had always wanted. The gap between what I had thought would happen and what actually transpired was breathtaking, heart-wrenching."

    And YES! You just nail it every time, Catherine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To compare your little Georgina to another 'what-if' loss is to diminish the uniqueness of who she is and was. There will never be another Georgina. It's like trying to make a bleeding wound hurt less by imagining that you got your arm broken. Seriously, the things that people say.
    Wishing you the healing balm of whatever it is that you need most right now.
    R

    ReplyDelete
  5. Catherine I am totally here with you. Yes, yes and yes... That pumping of milk... those stickers... that feeling of triumph when you expressed well... A definate love/hate relationship.

    And your comment about Dexter and House was funny. Me too. I could not stand to watch House in the last year or so. I could probably watch it now if it were on, but during Jordan's life and the dark aftermath of her death I couldn't go near it.

    Your gp is definately wrong... That stupid assumption that deep and abiding love is linked to the length of time you are with someone... what a crock! I would be devastated to lose my husband, but I would have many wonderful years of memories to reflect on. My baby got nothing but a hospital bed and pokes and prods and tests... The only thing she got that was worth anything was my love and that of my family.

    And what you said at the end, "I can't feel more than this", I 100% agree with.

    Great post.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. The description of your experience pumping took me back to my days doing the same in the NICU. 14 short days, but one of the most motherly acts I was able to do for Cayden. Strange that I don't have a baby at home but can tell any new mom all the ins and outs of a breast pump.

    This was a beautiful post, thank you. Sending love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When my milk came in it was like a horrible trick being played on me. I had these boobs filled with milk and no one to give it to when I should have had 2 babies that needed it. It is all so unfair. I think what you said about expecting to be happy makes a lot of sense and is part of the reason why we grieve so much. Sending you lots of love. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. The hardest I saw my mom cry was when the nurse finally figured out whey I had such pain in my chest. My milk was coming in, she announced. And my poor mom just lost it. I was so out of it that it was more of a painful nuisance than anything. But to my mom, who remembers pumping for her children with the joy that she was giving them strength and life - it was the ultimate smack in the face to me.

    Your posts carry more truth than anyone else I've read. Know that I'm always here with you, reading, and nodding along, even if I don't have anything to say. Most of the time, my dear - you have already said it all.

    ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post brought back so many memories and images to my mind of pumping for Peyton, in the hospital, in the car on the way to see her, in the middle of the night. There was such a beautiful sense of duty in doing it, it was something I could do, when I was otherwise helpless because of her Cancer. I imagined my antibodies taking over her system, healing her, helping her through the chemo. I believed so strongly in breastfeeding, and even having lost my child, wouldn't have traded one of those pumpings for the world. when you say "The gap between what I had thought would happen and what actually transpired was breathtaking, heart-wrenching." I dont know that any truer words to describe this journey through the loss of a baby have ever been said. So, so very accurate. Thank you for sharing this beautiful post, and for bringing so much back to mind for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Catherine, you're amazing. I know I say it a lot,but you truly are. You write so vividly, I feel as if I were sitting beside you as you pumped that precious milk!

    I really don't understand why people feel the need to 'pep up' the grieving.

    Lots of love xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anyone who compares something like that TO a grieving mother should be... wow, there just aren't words, there's just no act cruel enough to equal it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am sorry your GP just doesn't seem to understand what you have been going through. I would think that after everything they see with their patients they would be the ones to understand about loss.

    I don't know why people always feel the need to compare grief. Like it is a contest to figure out who is entitled to feel more grief. I had a situation where someone asked me what would be worse...losing your baby at birth or when they are a few months old. What?! Your asking the woman who lost her baby at birth? It is ALL devastating. This person asked me this because I had lost my son an hour after his birth and 5 months later one of my friends lost her son at 3 months of age. Like you said..it is 100% PAIN no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My milk came in the day before my son died- just a few drops. I was ecstatic. I thought I could finally do something to help him. When he died and my breast stayed heavy and full of milk for my sweet boy I thought I would die of grief. He's been gone for six weeks now and even though I still cry everyday, I'm starting to remember the joy of being with him too. I have to hold on to that feeling...I need hope to honor my son.

    I'm so thankful for your words. I feel so much less alone now.

    ReplyDelete