Wednesday 19 August 2009

Fell On Black Days

It was a beautiful sunny day yesterday. I had some candles burning for most of the day and I listened to music for the first time in a long while. Really listened. To music for 'adults.' I think Jessica was slightly perturbed to realise that not all music is 'Old MacDonald had a farm' although her Dad has been known to blast her with Black Sabbath and their ilk on the odd occasion. She seems to quite like that sort of thing actually, kicks her legs along to it.

I feel so very sad. I can't sleep which is I am sitting here typing this at four in the morning instead.

I wish I could do more than light candles. For all of those before me, for all of those yet to come. All those women still walking around in the sunshine in blissful ignorance of how this particular pregnancy is going to end. This particular pregnancy is not going to end well. Every single day of the year. I do so, so wish I could save them from this. Somehow.

Perhaps it is the date. This tail end of summer last year, when my life broke down. I know that it is only another day, one in a sequence. But I find my mind drawn back to replaying those events more and more frequently in recent days.

I've been dreaming about the NICU. That place. 'At the still point of the turning world. Neither flesh nor fleshless; at the still point, there the dance is. But neither arrest nor movement.' That is how it felt to me. Like a place that had fallen out of time. No arrest. No movement. A place parallel to my previous existence, I stepped sideways and there I was. It's still there, that strange sideways place. My four month home. Other people live there now. I wish they didn't have to.

That place of breath held and held and held. Waiting. Waiting. Waiting. Months of waiting. Seasons of waiting. Summer, autumn, winter.
One moment idle chatter, jokes, elation and the next, utter despair. For someone. Part of you is praying that it isn't you. And you loathe yourself for that.
That churning in my stomach. Cries.
Those rooms, I felt as if I could blow them away with one breath, like a flimsy stage set. Knock the whole thing down with a flick of my wrist.

That place. Those walls. Hope, crushed hope, every shade in between. How many prayers prayed, bargains struck, pleas pleaded. Such frail, fleshy, human things to be offered up in the face of these machines, those tiny, impossible bodies. Granted or denied.

Sitting on the floor in a hospital corridor. My husband is speaking to me but I can't really hear him. It is almost as if he is talking through thick glass or heavy salt water. I also hear myself wailing, at a remove. Me yet not me. I know that I sound like an animal but I can't stop. I'm gone, lost, a vacuum.

Sometimes I feel I have never really left that hospital. A part of me is still sitting on the floor in that corridor wailing. I think she'll always be there, that strange, wailing creature.

I'm still waiting.
I've been holding my breath for nearly a year now.
I want my other daughter back. I want her back. My greed know no bounds. These clutching hands that always close on nothing. I want her. I want her.
Still. Always.

14 comments:

  1. Sometimes I wait too. Like I'm waiting for someone to give me Freyja back or Kees back. But of course I know that will never happen. I held them in my arms when they were dead. Of course they're gone - they're never coming back. But still I wait ... I don't know what for any more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catherine this post took me straight back to Nicu. I hated that place. Hated it for the same reasons.

    I was explaining to someone the difference between a nicu and special care nursery in particular hospitals. When my baby boy comes, he'll got to the special care nursery in the private hospital that is within the public hospital that my Jordan was in. The special care nursery covers babies up to level 2, (nicu is 8) and I am so hoping that we never have to step foot in Nicu again. The idea of facing that up and down journey again is just horrific.

    I want Jordan back too. Always. I hope our girls know that.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beaautiful words Catherine. I think we all leave a part of ourselves in the NICU when our babies die. You explained it so well.
    I'm sorry you're missing your baby. I want my Zoe back as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want her back for you, Catherine. I want her back and I wont the time in pregnancy that you didnt have back.

    I want them all back for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course you do.

    And that's not greedy. That's a mother's love.

    And I'm sorry for the nightmares, and hoping you find some rest soon.

    Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want her back too, it's just not fair she's not. Thinking of you both, Catherine. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. thinking of all who have lost a dear one on this day. tears fall unbidden as the heartache in each comment above floods my system. sending strength to all who sorrow.

    a card i got after my loss last summer said, "all who go, go too soon".

    boy howdy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like I am living my life on hold. The world is spinning around, lives go on - except mine and hers. What am I waiting for? I have no effing idea.

    I wish that if we waited long enough - we could have them back.

    Sending love...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sorry for this difficult time. I wish Georgina was there with you and her sister. It is so hard for our lives to go on without our babies. Thinking of you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was just thinking tonight, before I logged on, how I want my girls, and I know I can't ever have them again, but I want them terribly. I think it will never go away. And I am so sorry you are feeling this way also, but it was strangely comforting in a way to read your words, that there is someone out there who understands...I do wish there wasn't, and for a moment I did not feel so alone. I am so sorry that you know this hurt that never stops. I hope your Jessica gives you some comfort, there are days when my little guy is all that keeps me going. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i've never been inside a nicu, but this post made me feel as though i have. during my pregnancy with my rainbow baby ham, i used to look at time in the nicu as a potential for a happy ending. b/c my little twins were too small even for that. then as time went by, i got greedier and greedier. i realized that the nicu wasn't always the happy ending i had hoped it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This post really affected me. Where you say "Sometimes I feel I have never really left that hospital. A part of me is still sitting on the floor in that corridor wailing. I think she'll always be there, that strange, wailing creature" I know what you mean, I have this image that never leaves of me wailing down the hall and the doctors, my daughter's doctors, avoiding eye contact as we passed. I am so sorry that you are on this journey.... ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  13. Catherine, this is such a powerful post. I've never experienced NICU but even so I felt shivers thinking about hope, crushed hope and everything in between.

    For those of us who have experienced the crushing of our hopes, I am so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want all our babies back. Sometimes I just wish I could stamp my feet like a bratty toddler at the unfairness of all of this.
    xo

    ReplyDelete