Friday 3 July 2009

Aplysia

In another life, I was a student. Not a good one but I can remember the odd lecture. Here I feel I should add that if you want to know any accurate facts about the topics mentioned here, I would look elsewhere. My memory is not what it once was.

Today I remembered a poor little creature called Aplysia. I think he is a type of sea slug if my memory serves me well. Hmmm . . I've just googled him and apparently my friend belongs to the genus of sea hares. Sea hares? I have to admit that I didn't know that there were such creatures.

When something nasty, like an electric shock, happens to Aplysia he withdraws his gills by reflex. Sadly for him, he was used in a frequently cited experiment to illustrate classical conditioning, where one stimulus is substituted for another. By pairing something nasty with a light touch to Aplysia's siphon you can, eventually, work the poor little guy into such a state that a light touch to the siphon will cause the gill withdrawal reflex. No nasty necessary, just the light touch to the siphon.

I remember feeling a bit sorry for him at the time. A nervous wreck of an animal, reduced to quivering jelly everytime something harmless brushes his siphon.

I feel even more sorry for the innocent little sea hare now.
I feel as though I have been used in a classical conditioning experiment myself. Seemingly innocent stimuli now trigger whatever the human equivalent of Aplysia's gill withdrawal reflex might be.

Anne Geddes photographs - argh, withdraw, withdraw

Pictures of smiling healthy babies on nappy packets, infant formula tins, baby wipes - argh, withdraw, withdraw

Pregnant women (particularly heavily pregnant women) - argh, withdraw, withdraw

Double buggies, which must first be approached and checked due to my peculiar inability not to do so, but when found to contain two children - argh, withdraw, withdraw

Discussions of how painful labour is, how many stretchmarks you have, how you need to get rid of that last bit of pesky baby weight - argh, withdraw, withdraw

Babycentre poll questions 'if you could choose to have twins, would you?' answer yes or no - argh, withdraw, withdraw

How many children do you have then? - argh, withdraw, withdraw

Is she your eldest? - argh, withdraw, withdraw

Wouldn't you love to have twins next time? (yup, someone has actually said this to me in all innocence) - argh, withdraw, withdraw

How old is she? - argh, withdraw, withdraw

How much did she weigh? - argh, withdraw, withdraw

Newspaper stories about 'miracle babies' - argh, withdraw, withdraw

Twins, especially twin girls - argh, withdraw, withdraw

So I can only conclude that this experience has indeed turned me into a sea slug. Or a sea hare. Whatever the differentiating factor might be. Slug? Hare? Whatever. A quivering mass of jelly which can be scared into pulling its gills in by a touch to the siphon.

None of these things are done to get at me, to hurt me, put there on purpose to rub my nose in what I can never have. Both my daughters. The experience of giving birth at term. Bonding with my baby. That first skin to skin contact. Nursing my baby when my milk came in.

These things, in and of themselves, are not painful. They are not the electric shock. The electric shock came sometime in August last year. These are just the reminders, the light touches to the siphon. The things that were formerly either a source of pleasure or indifference. Now paired up with the most painful experience that I have ever been through.

All of these things are just other people, living their lives. I probably cause someone else to 'withdraw their gills' as I waltz through the world with Jessica. I look as though I haven't a care in the world.

I just wish I hadn't been through that conditioning process. Anything associated with babies, pregnancy or birth has a slightly sickening, jarring association for me now.
I know what you're thinking. You don't need to be coy with me. Yes. Even that.
Even Jessica's own nappies, toys, little outfits. Not Jessica herself. I don't think so anyhow. I hope not. But when I look at her sleeping in her cot, I can't help but think of the other cot. Dismantled. In the attic.

And I used to take so much pleasure in babies, those chubby little limbs, those gummy smiles, in imagining my own babies, buying little gifts for other people's babies, celebrating pregnancies or new babies (it was a bit of a joke in the office where I work how excited I used to get whenever there was a pregnancy announcement).
I can never have that back.

11 comments:

  1. "So I can only conclude that this experience has indeed turned me into a sea slug. "

    I'm sorry I laughed when I read that line! It caught me off guard, I suppose :) But I do totally get what you're saying. And can only respond with - if you're a sea slug, then I'm a sea slug too. And thank goodness we've found this little community of sea slugs, or we'd feel even *more* alien!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am told there is a time when we will realize that our capacity for joy deepens in proportion to our capacity for grief.

    So I am told.

    Your writing shows that it's not in your nature to allow your heart to keep closing forever.

    Interesting that Aplysia's gills unfold open again after a time...fear passes and is overcome by her need to say YES to life, even if some bevaioral psychologist continues to terrorize her. I think, even the universe oscillates...expands and contracts...inspiration and expiration...

    prana.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigh. I'm sad with you for all the things we lost, mostly our innocence and ability to take pleasure in things that either gave us joy or didn't even cause us to feel one way or the other. Now, everything is loaded. Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Bluebird - thank you. I never thought that I would identify so strongly with a sea slug but there you have it! I laughed when I thought of poor ol Aplysia as a kind of kindred spirit earlier today.

    @ Aegeus - very true. Interesting that I didn't pick up on that point. But it is that 'will to live'. We've all got a little bit of it to a greater or lesser degree. My girls certainly had it. The sea slug had it. I only hope I've got it.
    Brave old sea slug. I only I will keep sticking my old gills out time and time again. There is nothing else for it after all.

    @ Monique - I do wish that we could both have that innocence back. Or I'd even settle for indifference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I can never have that back."
    Oh I know, I know. I'd buy it back if I could.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. "These things, in and of themselves, are not painful. They are not the electric shock. The electric shock came sometime in August last year. " I know that electric shock and the aftermath... And damn, I wish we could have that innocence back, too.

    Sometimes all we can do is just breathe through the shocks and aftershocks... It seems there isnt really anything else to do...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me too Catherine. I wish I would just be able to hear the word twins without cringing. After being pregnant with Calvin and Georgia, my sister in law decided to get pregnant right away having had a baby "craving" while she was down helping us pack up to move home. When she gleefully announced she was pregnant, one of the first things she said was "Kynan's so cute, he thinks I have two babies in here...he keeps saying we're having twins." I actually felt victimized by her statement, like she was rubbing my nose in it and I prayed that she was only having one baby because I didn't think I could handle it if she had twins. Turns out, she's only expecting one but for the love of God, will I ever get over feeling like this? I think I'll join you in your sea slug colony and perhaps we can all just hide away from everything at the bottom of the ocean...sound good?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just cannot imagine the roller coaster of emotions you feel every day. Joy for Jessica, sadness and yearning for Georgina. The incredible energy grief takes from you, plus the incredible energy it takes to care for a newborn must be overwhelming at times.

    I have three living children. My fourth child, E, was stillborn in November. It can be so difficult to be understood in this world. My grief from losing E has nothing to do with the joy I feel from the other kids. But E, just like Georgina for you, is my daughter. I cannot shut off sadness simply because I also have joy. It just doesn't work that way.

    Thank you for sharing such a beautiful explanation of life after losing a baby.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have perfected the "inner wince." Only my husband, probably, can see it on the outside, a brief flicker of pain on my face before the mask goes back on. Anyone else wouldn't even know I'd been hurt. Talk about conditioning. Sucks, doesn't it? *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Catherine, you have expressed this so perfectly.

    It's the stomach drop for me, that sickening fairground-ride jolt. I hate that I feel it, I hate that my circumstances make other people feel it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, yes, Catherine. Nodding and wincing and withdrawing my gills in arghs along with you.

    ReplyDelete